• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Do you lube the leaf springs on your trailer?

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My trailer has always creaked when going over uneven surfaces. I assumed that it is the leaf springs, but then I wondered if the squeaking and creaking really is coming from my leaf springs, then why don't the leaf springs on my SUV creak?
Any thoughts?
Do you lube your leaf springs?
I have a 2015 shorelandr, and pumping grease into the pivot between the front and back wheels had no effect, so I assume that it is the leaf springs. The trailer is quiet on smooth pavement.
Thanks

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How about spraying some white lithium grease in there?

sstegh

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
When mine get creaky I'll sometimes spray then down with a little WD-40. Keeps them quiet for a while

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I spray mine with CRC 6-56 mainly for the corrosion prevention but it does lubricate so it may help with squeaks. I use it on all of the moving trailer parts and the clamps in the engine.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Check to make sure the bolt where the springs mount to the trailer are not loose or have excessive wear.. if they do the bolts them selves may be moving up and down before the springs do. I have seen that on heavy loaded u tility trailers before and on semi trailers I use to work on. The semi trailers were a lot bigger but the had the same set up.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check to make sure the bolt where the springs mount to the trailer are not loose or have excessive wear.. if they do the bolts them selves may be moving up and down before the springs do. I have seen that on heavy loaded u tility trailers before and on semi trailers I use to work on. The semi trailers were a lot bigger but the had the same set up.
Thanks, I'll crawl under and check that. I did check things over when the trailer was new, and found loose and missing bolts.

Last edited:

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I spray mine with CRC 6-56 mainly for the corrosion prevention but it does lubricate so it may help with squeaks. I use it on all of the moving trailer parts and the clamps in the engine.
Thanks @Bruce, do you spray your engines with this also?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks @Bruce, do you spray your engines with this also?
I spray anything in the engine compartment that might rust as well as the bolts on the jets, the moving parts of the trailer tongue and the ball.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
And easy way to check the bolt is to slightly jack up the trailer or put a block under one tire and drive up onto it to take the pressure off the bolt u want to inspect.. then u should be able to see if it is moving up and down within the shakle

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I spray anything in the engine compartment that might rust as well as the bolts on the jets, the moving parts of the trailer tongue and the ball.
I thought that you might answer my question like the Frank's hot sauce commercial... I spray that sh*t on everything.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I agree with the above posts, it may be the bolts and shackles that connect the springs to the trailer squeaking. I have about 8-10k miles on my trailer and replaced those bolt a last fall. Here's a picture of what one of them looked like when it came off the trailer. You can see there was quite a bit of wear on them...image.jpeg