• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Do you own one? Polaris powered Rio Step Jet.

rarebreed

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Does anyone own one? Polaris powered Rio Step Jet.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This was an interesting animal for sure.

Since I live in the Fargo, ND area, home of Sugar Sand, it was cool to see this collaboration. I had not realized the partnership existed in fact.

Back in the day, early 2000's, Mercury SportJet engines were dropping into piles of boats. Namely SeaDoo offered a number as they could get more HP out of a Fuel Injected Merc SportJet than their current Rotax engines. SugarSand did the same, and also worked with Polaris to offer SportJet powered Polaris boat as well.

Come Mid 2000's and everyone wanted fourstroke. SeaDoo dropped the SportJet engine for their new 4-strokes, and Polaris worked with SugarSand to put their Virage drivetrain (engine and pump) into the Rio Step Jet.

I'm not sure what info you were looking for. But here is a full spec on that rig taken from Green Hulk. So please let me give credit to them, without linking their site, as per site rules here. I just hate plagiarizing this good info without giving credit.

Well, as I have time, I figured I would update this thread with information on the rare Sun n' Sea Rio Step Jet (Polaris Powered Sugar Sand Jet Boat).

The boat is VERY similar to the Sugar Sand Tango. Same dash and windshield. Similar modeling. Hull design is a Stepped hull, designed to break surface tension for a higher top speed. Entire Drivetrain and engine electronics advertized being from 00 and 01 Polaris Virage respectively. I have found that it is more closely related to a Genesis.

Overall Information
Manufacturer: Sun n' Sea
Model: Rio
Designed By: Sugar Sand
Years Produced: 01-02
Color Options: Blue or Green
Powered By: Polaris

Engine Information
Polaris 1200 3 Cyl (1165cc actual) 135 HP Domestic Motor
Carburated
Water Cooled
Replacement Motor found in 99-02 Virage TX and Genesis

Carburator Information
Carburator part number (fill in later) from a Genesis
Custom Jetting

Engine Electronics
CDI ignition system from polaris (Polaris Part Number 4040379, Interchangable with 4040447 that has less timing)
Uses same electrical box and components as a Polaris PWC with these exceptions:
-Power, Ground and Plug wires are longer to accomodate electrical box placement.
-Polaris half-wave power regulator/rectifier removed from inside electrical box and replaced with aftermarket full-wave external unit.
-No Polaris LR503/505 used as there is a key ignition instead of a push on/push off ignition.
-Stator is the same, but polaris customized the stator harness and pigtail by replacing the red/purple wire with a yellow/brown wire. Functionally no different.

Stereo
-Kenwood Single Din Stereo (Can be replaced with any aftermarketsingle din radio unit).
-Kenwood 6.5" Marine Speakers (Dual Cone)

Electronic Controls
-Standard Turn Style Non-Lit Switches for horn, nav/ancor lights and bilge fan.
-Standard marine key switch with off, on and start positions.

Instrumentation
-Beede Fuel (2-1/8"), Tachometer (2-1/8") and Speedometer (3-1/4") backlit marine guages (can be replaced with any standard marine units).

Bilge Pump/Fan
-Siphon Pump run off Jet pump (draws water any time the engine is running withe the jet pump in the water).
-Rule 1100 GPH bilge pump with seperate float switch wired always on (Right Hand Circuit Breaker).
-4" Bilge Fan wired to dash switch (Dash switch located near key and not in switch pannel as found on the Tango - 2nd Circuit Breaker from the Right).

Jet Pump/Steering
-Polaris 148mm Extended modular Jet Pump w/ SS 6 Vane Stator.
-Polaris Extended Ride Plate
-Polaris Standard Intake Grate
-All jet pump parts interchangeable with 94-04 Polaris PWC models using the extended jet pump setup.
-Steering and shifter assembly and cables made by Teleflex.
-Reverse Bucket Polaris, reverse swing arm custom milled for application.

Replacement Parts
Many parts on the boat are actually still avalible today as they are made by 3rd party companies. Below is a list of some:
Battery - Any Group 24 Marine Deep Cycle (Preferably not a "Starting" battery) Battery 550 CCA (140 Min Reserve).
Gas Door/Cap - Attwood 911806 1 1/2 INCH BOAT VENTED GASOLINE DECK FILL
Engine Compartment Latch - Southco Sealed Compression Latch Model Number C5-11-45-3 (This version is not lockable C5-31-45-3 would be an exact replacement for the OEM, but much more expensive). Data Sheet HERE.
Front Storage Latch - Southco Flush Pull Latch M1-61 Black Data Sheet HERE
Front Compartment Gas Spring - Any 60-80 LBS Gas Spring that is approx. 18.5" extended and 11" compressed

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My understanding is that there was an emission control issue also for year 2000 that caused the Rotax 2stroke to not work anymore on many boats, while the 4-tec was still being designed. Up to 1999 you could get a 717 on boats, but not after.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That was a running concern with all OEM's as in the late 90's the threat of a 2 stroke ban was strong. This is also the timeframe when Yamaha made the bold decision to design an all new lineup of 4-stroke snowmobiles, and by mid 2005 drop all 2-stroke sleds in the US. It also pushed them to go all 4-stroke in PWC and Sportboats other than the SuperJet. Which was marketed as a race PWC.

Once emissions got under control by the 2-stroke OEM's, the threat went away. And now current 2-strokes can be as clean if not cleaner than a 4-stroke. It really did shake up the industry for boats, sleds and any form of recreation. Yamaha is still taking heat for this in the sled business. As most consider it to be what has killed off their market share.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Two strokes with clean emissions require very high pressure pumps as I understand it. Not something I'm a big fan of, as the slightest imperfection in a number of components will cause pain and suffering.

It killed OMC/Johnson/Evinrude until they were resurrected by bombardier.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
'Case you were wondering👍
img_609854_1_r.jpgRioBack.jpg

smurph18

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I see this is an older post but I have a 2001 Polaris/Sun'N Sea StepJet Rio. It recently died on me in the water and having been trying to diagnose some issues. I am struggling to find any info about the stator in this thing and seeing if anyone can help me or lead me to some info. I know Polaris is a pain for watercraft as they are out the game now but just looking for some information to help get the boat going again.

Again, I am mainly looking for info regarding the stator or other electrical issues. I have normal compression (thankfully) but zero spark on all three plugs. Anyone else have any similar issues? Electrical Coil? Stator? Something else?

Thank you

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You will find no help from anyone involved with Polaris. As this Merc engine is more similar to a Mercury outboard than anything else. Find a good Mercury outboard mechanic, and they should be able to help. Which Merc SportJet is under the hood?

smurph18

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It has the Polaris 1200 in it. It's a three cylinder. I wish it had the Mercury motor but oh well.

rarebreed

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Does anyone own one? Polaris powered Rio Step Jet.
Yes I own a Rio Step jet The best mechanic I know on Polaris LIves up by gull lake 218-963-2900 shop name Crank it up Garage very smart guy also has lots of parts of our knows where to get them to make the Polaris run

smurph18

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Just gave him a call. Thank you for the info. I appreciate it.