• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Do your engines sound like this?

Do your engines sound like this?

• Yes

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • No

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

twentiesforever

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello Members,

Ive noticed that my pumps ( i think its the pumps) sound like a rattle can almost. I've looked for videos and found this one starting at 3:08. Does your engine sound like this? Ive greased the bearings but they still sound rattly while in the water. I wish I could listen to someone else with a 240 to compare.

At 0:14 you can also hear the rattle.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There are a few possibilities at play here @twentiesforever. First, is this a new noise? Is it both pumps making the noise or just one? I see you live up in VT but has this ever been a salt water boat? The possibilities are bearings or wear rings. You can pull the suspected pump and check your cone bearings. These can be susceptible to water intrusion and should be checked once a season or two. While at it you should also guage the clearance between the impeller and wear ring. I just did mine last week as the wear rings were swelling due to galvanic corrosion causing the impeller to hit the wear ring causing the rattling sound. It's not a bad job.

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Every jet ski engine I've ever heard running out of water sounds like a can of bolts. My 2-atroke 800cc Seadoo XP was much louder than any of these Yamaha 4 strokes out of the water lol so I wouldn't worry too much about sounds you hear while flushing. If you watch other flushing vids you'll usually hear the same rattle sound. Nothing in those videos sounded abnormal.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Out of the water, yes....in the water, NO.

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yup, noisey bastards...

Craig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
On our second YJB and both at idle (in or out of the water) sound like crap. When it gets on my nerves I typically bump the +1 no wake to raise the rpm causing it to idle smoother.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In the first video, I am unsure what the high pitched noise is, but doubt it is coming from the pump. It might be just an effect of the video and how it was recorded.

However, the second video is normal. I hate it, but it is normal. On my last Yamaha (07 SX230) I went to the plastic inserts for the wear rings and the noise went away. That led me to believe the noise is caused by the impeller hitting the metal wear ring due to vibration at idle. I could be wrong, but that is my experience. In my current boat, the port runs a lot smoother than Starboard this year. I get the noise louder from the starboard side. Since that is happening and the starboard RPM seems to be down as well, I will be changing out the spark plugs this weekend to see if the engine will run smoother, therefore, having less vibration and therefore reducing the clang.

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You know, I have noticed that when I start the engine on the trailer there is no real noise from the jet area. I start to hear the clanking once the water from the flush ports makes its way down to the jets.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I posted my single 1.8 running because it sounded awful. Everyone who listened said it was normal.

They sound horrible being flushed.