• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

dock lines

beachbum

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Picking up a few new things for the SX190... never been on it.

What length and diameter of dock lines for the cleats on the 190 would work best?

Also... while I'm at it.

What quantity and size of fenders are best for the 190?

oh ... and...
when is this winter going to end?

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Get the longest 3/8" line you can find. I think the longest on Amazon is 25'. Longer is always better. 3/8" double braid is plenty thick enough. I also recommend taylor made big b fenders 8" diameter.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
We have the stretchy dock lines for the times the boat is not docked for a very long time. They are quick and easy.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Get the longest 3/8" line you can find. I think the longest on Amazon is 25'. Longer is always better. 3/8" double braid is plenty thick enough. I also recommend taylor made big b fenders 8" diameter.
X2 on the lines (i.e., at least two of these greater than or equal to the length of your boat, plus two other lines like the rubber/bungee lines pictured/refenced). For the fenders I usually go with the less expensive Attwood versions from Walmart, $10 to $12 each for the large ones, 4 should be fine, 6 is better.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
http://www.stowawayboatfenders.com/
But buy them on Ebay.
Has lasted a couple years now with some pretty good abuse. No leaks, just checked, and never had to re-fill from the first time. Much stronger than you might think. Get the bigger ones to space out wakeboard racks etc. if you have a tower. I put a little bleach and water in the bottom because I didn't like it blowing around. There is also a strap on the top to strap to anything on your boat, and a small ring on the bottom so you could attach sideways or whatever if desired. Or, you could use it to hang something to weight it down that way.

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

oh ... and...
Whatever type of fenders you get I recommend these fender hangers if you want to have a way to easily adjust your fenders: FenderGrips They are "pricy" but do a good job.

(I feel your pain about the Canadian winter--lived 10 years in Quebec City and Montreal; if it's any consolation we tied the record high here in Cape Coral, Florida yesterday with 89° F :))

fendergrip.jpg

HawkTX

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use those fender hangers too. They work great!

beachbum

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the suggestions.

Buffalo New York has a number of marine retailers. I had a great shopping trip over the boarder the other day and Canada Customs didn't charge me a cent... oh.. we got rid of our penny, but you know what I mean.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I carry 4- 15ft 3/8 lines and 2- 25ft lines. I also use 4 bumpers. Hey thanks for putting up the picture of the fender hangers...now I get to go spend some more money!! :winkingthumbsup"

woodard1983

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
same here...I have 4 shorter lines for docking and 2 longer for tie ups....I don't like fumbling around w/the longer ones at the docks

jaybro72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
1/2" is almost too big for the 190 cleats. I use 3/8

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

What length and diameter of dock lines for the cleats on the 190 would work best?

Also... while I'm at it.

oh ... and...
Winter has already ended, believe it or not. March 20th was the vernal equinox and June 21 is the Summer solstice.

Now that we got that out of the way....Fender Tip:

I like to approach docks real fast and spin the boat so it slams sideways right into the dock and knocks anybody standing there into the water.

Well, whether I "like" doing that or not, I just do that.

To minimize any crunching noises I hang a fender over the side amidships. I found a neat little hanger made by Taylormade:

ssfenderlock.jpg

I mounted the receiver on the top of the rail (not outside as pictured) right where the side window comes down to meet the rail. I keep a fender behind/below the driver's seat and it takes 1.5 seconds to attach and flip over the side. The length is already set and the fender is in perfect position to cushion the impact. I have one on each side in case I'm feeling frisky and want to bounce off one dock and tie up on the other side! :cool:

Otherwise I start screaming for everyone to open a hatch and find a fender under all the wet ski lines and wetsuits, etc. and they invariably sit there and look at me with glazed eyes.....I love boating!

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
http://www.stowawayboatfenders.com/
But buy them on Ebay.
Has lasted a couple years now with some pretty good abuse. No leaks, just checked, and never had to re-fill from the first time. Much stronger than you might think. Get the bigger ones to space out wakeboard racks etc. if you have a tower. I put a little bleach and water in the bottom because I didn't like it blowing around. There is also a strap on the top to strap to anything on your boat, and a small ring on the bottom so you could attach sideways or whatever if desired. Or, you could use it to hang something to weight it down that way.
I bought a kit of the stowawayboatfenders and really like them. Kit comes with a bag, 4 fenders, and a hand pump. As Speedling says, they are great and don't take up much space.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Also... while I'm at it.

oh ... and...
Costco has a pretty good deal on fenders, I just picked up 4.
Ice is pretty much gone in Lake Simcoe. C'mon up!