• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Dodge 1500 eco-diesel vs 2500 diesel.

jet-r-done

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I am starting to think about trading in my 2004 1500 Hemi on a new truck. The Hemi has done the job, but quite honestly could be better as far as pulling. The Hemi will jump up and scat with nothing behind it, but hook a trailer to it and it honestly falls on its face. The power band on the Hemi is really too high for towing and more horsepower than torque. It's constantly down shifting to stay in the higher rpms. So originally I was set on a 2500 with the 6.7 L Cummins, but I am starting to toss around the idea of the less expensive 1500 Eco-diesel. I really like the look and extra towing power of the 2500, but the extra savings of the 1500 is tempting too! How does the Eco-diesel pull in comparison to the 2500?? What are the fuel mileage comparisons? Is the peace of mind of the larger 2500 worth the cost savings? Any input from those who have the Eco-diesel or have towed with both? I am pulling a 15 AR240 by the way.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'd get 17/18 pulling my 242LS when I had it. 15 when fully loaded with people gear and boat. I'm only stepping up to 3/4 ton for a bigger boat and travel trailer. Otherwise, there just about isn't anything better than the ED in my opinion.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Agree if all you plan to tow is a boat than the ED will be fine I am getting the same 17-18 towing my 230 with gear. If you are towing heavier than 8k or so daily than a 3/4 is a good bet. I tow the boat and commute and my normal economy is 23-25 mpg. Even if you went with a new hemi the 8spd makes a huge difference but the economy won't be that of the ED.

Bryan Martini

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've got a 16 ram 1500 limited with a hemi to tow my 16 ar240 I don't even know its behind me there is more than enough power with the newer hemis. I get about 17/19 as a daily commuter

Attachments

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@maboat just made the switch from a Cummins 2500 to a 1500 with the Ecodiesel. He only tows a late model 230 like mine so he should be able to give a good comparison. I have a large 5th wheel camper so I will always have a HD truck to tow with. The power it has is truly amazing. I always have to watch my speed while towing on the highway because of the speed rating on the trailer tires. I really never enjoyed towing till I got the diesel truck.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, I've been pulling boats and campers with a Ram/Cummins 2500 for almost 20 years. For towing, it can't be beat. Set the cruise control and the Cummins will just pull and pull without downshifting. Gotta love that.

I did just make the switch to the Ram/EcoD 1500 this month. Towed the boat. 200 miles with it for the first time this past weekend. With the smaller diesel + 8-speed tranny it does downshift more than Cummins + 6-speed tranny. But the ZF 8-speed in the 1500 is silky-smooth and with 8 close gears you almost don't know it's shifting. Have to watch the tach really close to tell because the shift is from 1900 to 2100. But either way, you're not revving 4K-5k like you would in a Hemi. So yeah, it's not the same, but for under 10k towing weight it's a perfectly capable mule and with the air suspension it was much more comfortable than my 2500.

My engine is still new and I got 15mpg towing at 70mph. That may go up 1 or 2 after the engine loosens up. But basically, my EcoD gets the same towing MPG as I got in the 6.7 Cummins. Not exactly a winning coup there. But this truck is also my daily driver and I put many unloaded miles on it. BIG win there. I'm getting true 28mpg on the highway unloaded at 70-75mph and I can even get 30+ with cruise at 65. Overall combined average (includes Hwy+City+Towing) I'm currently at 24mpg for the first 2,000 miles on the ticker.

So, towing the boat I get the same MPG as the Cummins. It's quieter and smoother but if I towed a lot, the Cummins is just a better tow machine hands down even though the EcoD is perfectly fine pulling a 6k boat. It's the daily driving or lightly loaded miles where the EcoD really shines.
image.jpeg

Last edited:

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Trip computer from Lake Texoma trip. 217 miles averaged 15 pulling boat