• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Does anyone actually "Use" their lanyard?

tracerrx

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I'm just curious if anyone actually clips their "kill switch" lanyard to themselves/life jacket?

Mine has always just been attached to my keys, which i understand does nothing.... I'm assuming these kill switches are a layover from the PWC line.

I have sort of gotten use to it being there, and sort of like the fact that it makes it more difficult for people unfamiliar with our boats to start them (you don't have to worry so much about some idiot friend grabbing your keys and giving it a go without you).

Thoughts?

My lanyard hangs there with nothing to do but hang on and enjoy the ride.

I don't but after reading the other thread I'll use it when I'm driving the boat alone.

I don't but probably should the way these boats corner. I know it's not even remotely the same thing but came across this video on YouTube. The guy piloting the boat is an idiot, but it definitely proves the worth of the lanyard. Crash begins around 1:22.

I thought for sure he was going to smack one of the telephone pole channel markers. Stupid is as stupid does.

I always felt the lanyard was to prevent the boat from continuing to run and be a danger to others and to not strand you in the middle of nowhere. I don't think the lanyard really made much difference to the guy in the video.

I used it on Saturday. I always use it if there are inexperienced people in the boat who potentially could not stop the boat if I fell out. cam.

I thought for sure he was going to smack one of the telephone pole channel markers. Stupid is as stupid does.

I always felt the lanyard was to prevent the boat from continuing to run and be a danger to others and to not strand you in the middle of nowhere. I don't think the lanyard really made much difference to the guy in the video.

I don't know, when he went airborne I'd guess the lanyard pulled and killed the outboard. Seems like it could have been much worse with the outboard still under power.

I use it....like a seat belt. My oldest just got his boating certification so I need to be a good example.

Hit a wake and bump your head on the corner of the windshield at any speed I guess the docks will stop your boat.

We have all seen this.....imagine how long the boat would travel even at half speed if you were unconscious. I taught my kids what to do if that was to happen to me for some reason and lanyard break or not kill engines.

Yeah, until the other day I had not watched the full length video on that one. What happens (or doesn't) after the crash was pretty ridiculous. Full length below..

That's why I wear the lanyard. It wont stop this type of accident from occurring but it def would mitigate more damage. These people or others in the water were saved by the blonde woman accidently falling on the throttle pushing it up to slow it to a stop.

Wear your lanyard.....just wrap it around your wrist at least....

I'm bad. No lanyrd or vest

I use it....like a seat belt. My oldest just got his boating certification so I need to be a good example.

Hit a wake and bump your head on the corner of the windshield at any speed I guess the docks will stop your boat.

We have all seen this.....imagine how long the boat would travel even at half speed if you were unconscious. I taught my kids what to do if that was to happen to me for some reason and lanyard break or not kill engines.

I like the throttle technique by the driver. I think that blonde stole the drivers wallet at the end.

I like the throttle technique by the driver. I think that blonde stole the drivers wallet at the end.
The water looks pretty smooth, otherwise I would say he was attempting to slow down as he crossed other wakes/waves, just very badly!

You chop the throttle when you airborne to prevent engine damage on those boats. If I had to guess the boat was slightly over-trimmed up for a super fast run for the cameras and found intersecting wakes leading to chine walk.

I have never used the lanyard. I have (thankfully) never been in a situation where I felt like I may fall out of the seat.

I never use mine, never have on any boat other than a jet ski but then again I don't drive like an idiot... That being said, I may move my lanyard all together this winter when I try to free up some real estate for my radio remote and ballast switches...

Back