• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Does anyone unscrew/remove their seats when winterizing and leaving outside?

Daren and Heather

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Boats going to be sitting shrink wrapped outside during the extremely cold Minnesota winter. I took my removable cushions out, as well as the captains chair because it was super easy. But now I’m wondering, should I take the other seats out as well? I’m talking about the seats that flip up that are screwed to the hinges. I don’t know if that’s overkill or a good idea. Or if I’ll wear out the screw threads in those seats by taking them off every winter. Thanks!

Will the shrink wrap support the snow load? If it will. I think you will be ok.

I take all my bottom seat cushions out and store them in my garage over the winter. Too much work to unscrew seat backs every year IMO.

For the seat bottoms that flip up, I would clean out the compartments and use some damp rid or similar in the compartment then flip them down. I would also use damp rid in the rest of the boat. I have done this before with success. The big concern is trapped moisture condensing when the temperature drops causing mold and mildew. The further we get into winter the dryer the air gets so you don't have to worry much about external humidity.

Make sure you put some damp rid in there before the shrinkwrap and a vent if you can in your area. When I shrinkwrapped mine last year I removed all of my cushions but I don't think it's mandatory you go to that level so long as you have damp rid containers all throughout. My dealer hung a few of the large damp rid bags and I added some to all of my compartments. Probably a little overkill but I've never had an issue with mold or any foul smells in either of my boats.

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up just removing all of the seat bottoms, it was pretty easy to unbolt them, and brought them all inside the house. Then I put 8 damprid containers in different parts of the boat, and got it shrinkwrapped.

Back