• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Does this look bent?

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One of my trailer tires is kicked inward from bottom to top, I thought it was a bent axle. I took it to a trailer shop to have the axle measured and they told me the axle looks straight and said it may be the bearings. So I ordered a new hub and bearing kit. After taking the hub off, the spindle looks like it may be kicked up a bit to me. Is there a way to change just the bearing or is it going to need a whole axle?

7917B06F-2071-4CBD-80B8-55172EE8D3BD.jpeg

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's really hard to tell without a frame of reference. Do you have a 6ft level? Any long true sick may help. At a molecular level it is never straight... If you look from far enough away and squint it looks perfect I'm sure. A new axle is like 250 and a pain to install. I would service the bearings and apply the real test... Drive it and see what it does.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well, if you cheat by drawing grid lines....

No just kidding, that's an awesome perspective. It does look bent like that.

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Bent upwards... not uncommon failure on lighter duty trailers.

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's welded on. If you find a good trailer shop maybe they can fix it? Not sure myself, but seems plausible.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is there a way to replace the spindle?
Yes, it does look bent, and yes it can be fixed, but I don't think it is a DIY job. I had that done once, they just weld a new one on. But a new axle may not be much more, If you find a shop you can trust I would just do what they recommend.
In my case a tell-tail sign was tire wear.

--

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
These days a new axle would probably be less expensive that paying for the labor to fix it. You will have to see. Also, it all depends on how handy you are and what tools you have available. Guarantee you it will be less expensive if you can swap the axle yourself. If not, you'll just have to get quotes.

Last edited:

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you mount the tire you should be able to put a straight edge across the tops of both the front and rear tires. If it's perfect your straight edge will touch both sides (L & R) of both tires. If, as you believe, it's bent up the straight edge will touch the L & R side of the rear tire evenly but not the front.