• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Does this steering linkage look right? 2021 195S

Ozark

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I noticed this black bushing/seal looks like it might be popped out of place. When actuating the linkage, the black bushing moves back and forth approximately 1/8-1/4" and will drip out water. It looks like it should possibly be seated into the fitting at the transom. Boat is a 2021 195S. Thanks.IMG_9521.JPGIMG_9522.JPG

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just push it back on. You could cover it in some waterproof grease or wax if you want.

It goes outside the fixed part on the transom. The opening is larger on that end.

I just dealt with that while trying to lube my steering cable.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
as @AZMark indicated and I would recommend, cover it with wax. I use a toilet bowl base wax ring and just take some off of it and smear it around those 2 steering seals as well as the bucket seal. My rubber boot leaked last year and this year I had to replace the steering cable because it seized up. Some have reported the exact same issue, a lot of people have no problems with it.

Ozark

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Thanks guys. Its amazing how easy something is once you know what needs to happen. Once I gave it a nudge with some pliers it popped right back on. I could definitely see how these cables could seize up if it sat for a while with water in the linkage.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks guys. Its amazing how easy something is once you know what needs to happen. Once I gave it a nudge with some pliers it popped right back on. I could definitely see how these cables could seize up if it sat for a while with water in the linkage.
Cover them with the Wax. If they do go bad, other members here have indicated that steering cables are sold out everywhere. An ounce of prevention goes a long way.

Ozark

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Cover them with the Wax. If they do go bad, other members here have indicated that steering cables are sold out everywhere. An ounce of prevention goes a long way.
I have yamalube grease and have been lubing them with it. Is the toilet wax a better option?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How have you been lubing them just on the outside?

Coating them with Wax, which recommended by @Cobra Jet Steering LLC , and I slap a thick coat on it works really well. Everyone has their own thing. I know I don't want to go through that again on my boat which wasn't even 1 year old this last April again and start losing out on boating time. Some never have a problem.

What happened to mine is water got up in there and corroded/rusted and there was no way to get them going again. I tried for several days everything we could think of.

Ozark

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
How have you been lubing them just on the outside?

Coating them with Wax, which recommended by @Cobra Jet Steering LLC , and I slap a thick coat on it works really well. Everyone has their own thing. I know I don't want to go through that again on my boat which wasn't even 1 year old this last April again and start losing out on boating time. Some never have a problem.

What happened to mine is water got up in there and corroded/rusted and there was no way to get them going again. I tried for several days everything we could think of.
I just apply the Yamalube then work the linkage back and forth. It’s what the service manual calls for. I’m always open to a better and cheaper way of doing something though. The service manual would never suggest toilet wax even if it would make the cables last 100 years lol. I also found a post on rigging up a lubing kit to lube the cables entire length. I’m planning on doing that yearly as well.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just apply the Yamalube then work the linkage back and forth. It’s what the service manual calls for. I’m always open to a better and cheaper way of doing something though. The service manual would never suggest toilet wax even if it would make the cables last 100 years lol. I also found a post on rigging up a lubing kit to lube the cables entire length. I’m planning on doing that yearly as well.
I did rig up that to lubricate after the issue started, it is a bit of a PITA. It hooks up to my air compressor. My thread with the build is around here somewhere.

I was almost thinking of doing something a bit more permanent to be honest. Msy work on it this late fall.

My idea was to get a long rubber tube that has ribs and use small Stainless Steel hose clamps on either end and fill with grease, etc. This way it is always lubricated and the rubber tube will expand and contract as you turn your steering. Picture the rubber ribbed sleeves on a shock absorber. I dunno, was just thinking of things so I wouldn't have to screw with it all the time and/or be worried about it.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I tried the lube thing and failed on one cable. Left it pressurized at different pressures up to 100psi for about 2 weeks.

I’m also the one that can’t track down a replacement cable.