• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Double battery

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can someone post some info on how they installed a second battery? I am looking to do that this year and would like some info and pics if possible.

Thanks.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you plan to install electronics to control and charge the two batteries or simply hook up the second in parallel for additional capacity?

I am adding a second battery. I bought a Blue Sea 6007 Dual Battery Switch for $31 and a Blue Sea 7635 Low Voltage Disconnect for $60 both came from Ebay and are still available.

I have ordered two Group 31 Die Hard Platinum batteries which should be here next week.

I plan to relocate the batteries into the engine compartment using two new battery boxes. If I was not relocating them I would have added a second battery mount beside the factory mount.

I will use the low voltage disconnect in the connection to house power to cut off the batteries before they get too low to start the engines. It has an override switch that will be installed in the dash. I will be able to leave my electronics running until the LVD cuts them off then flip the switch and start the engines without fear of damaging the batteries or needing a jump start.

I will also be installing an onboard dual battery charger to keep the batteries hot at the dock.

JWPrendergast

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Bruce, Ive never heard of anyone putting the batteries in the engine compartment; how will that work? Is there any room to do that? I only ask because I like the idea of it...

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bruce, Ive never heard of anyone putting the batteries in the engine compartment; how will that work? Is there any room to do that? I only ask because I like the idea of it...
On the older version of the SX230 there was a storage area accessible through a hatch outside of each engine. On the newer SX230 this area is walled off by plywood. It is somewhat accessible as storage by sliding things back through an opening under the rear seats on the starboard side. On the port side this area is completely blocked off by the battery and then a piece of plywood.

When I installed the speakers behind the seat cushions I removed the plywood sidewalls in the engine compartment and discovered that there was a large carpeted area with a flat bottom between the plywood and the hull. It seems to be the perfect place to install water bags. I remember that someone on YJB installed the water tank for a shower in that area.

I plan to utilize this space by blocking off the under seat compartments at the engine compartment to reduce sound entering passenger area. Then I will remove the battery mount that is under the rear port seat and install the battery switch and low voltage disconnect where the factory battery was and connect them to the factory wiring. Then I will run new wiring out of the engine compartment to the battery switch.

I also plan to install a tank for a shower on the starboard side.

I may squeeze a pair of waterbags in there as well.

Here are a couple of pictures of the area.

image.jpg

image.jpg

JWPrendergast

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Ohhh, ok! It seems they have walled it off in newer boats