• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Drain plug Timeout.

Doncore3000

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I guess I'm the newest member of the Drain Plug Misfits. I had two projects to complete on this new/used boat before I could start enjoying the summer, impeller housing and replace the bunks on the trailer. I changed the starboard impeller housing and I had enough time left to put the boat in an swap out bunks before the afternoon T-storms started. I wasn't really in the prelaunch checklist frame of mind because I was just dropping the boat in temporary and taking it right back out. I made such quick work with the bunk replacements that I told the wife lets take it for a quick spin before the weather gets in. And 15 mins later my engine compartment Was half full of water and when I throttled down they both shut off. I got towed back to the dock and I've been following every thread with a similar story to help fix my issue.

Here's what I've done so far and where I'm stuck. I pulled the spark plugs on the starboard engine and turned it over and water came shooting out of all 4 cylinders. On the port side not much water and only out of the rear 2 cylinders. I put in new spark plugs and when I tried starting the engines neither will light off. They both turn like a normal start but there's no combustion. I also noticed that there's no beep when I turn the port key switch. I know I'm just avoiding the inevitable task of digging into the ECU's but I just want to make sure there nothing else I can check before trying to get at those boxes in the mid day heat? @HELP

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guess I'm the newest member of the Drain Plug Misfits. I had two projects to complete on this new/used boat before I could start enjoying the summer, impeller housing and replace the bunks on the trailer. I changed the starboard impeller housing and I had enough time left to put the boat in an swap out bunks before the afternoon T-storms started. I wasn't really in the prelaunch checklist frame of mind because I was just dropping the boat in temporary and taking it right back out. I made such quick work with the bunk replacements that I told the wife lets take it for a quick spin before the weather gets in. And 15 mins later my engine compartment Was half full of water and when I throttled down they both shut off. I got towed back to the dock and I've been following every thread with a similar story to help fix my issue.

Here's what I've done so far and where I'm stuck. I pulled the spark plugs on the starboard engine and turned it over and water came shooting out of all 4 cylinders. On the port side not much water and only out of the rear 2 cylinders. I put in new spark plugs and when I tried starting the engines neither will light off. They both turn like a normal start but there's no combustion. I also noticed that there's no beep when I turn the port key switch. I know I'm just avoiding the inevitable task of digging into the ECU's but I just want to make sure there nothing else I can check before trying to get at those boxes in the mid day heat?
If you are in salt water not much time to save the engines. I'm not sure what the SOP would be here, but maybe use the "@ help" command (no space just post it in the text of the post) if you are in the water and need help immediately. That will page several very knowledgeable and helpful members to assit you.

--

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is there a chance the boxes were underwater?

Lanyard is clipped on, right?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Along the same lines^^^, cleanout plug tray shut closed?

--

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Spray everything visible metal with wd40 or anything else (crc 656 spray is good, anything will help)

Doncore3000

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I checked and reset the lanyard. I checked the cleanout port switches also. I have the boat back on the trailer in my driveway now.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you get spark on the plugs when removed and tested ont he engine block?

--

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's very important for the engine to get started today to prevent damage. Don't give up just yet.

Doncore3000

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Update.. I got the port engine started and flushed. The starboard engine seemed like it was going to turn over but then it just kept turning with the starter. I'm going to pull the plugs again and make sure there's no left over moisture.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great news, keep at it, and once they start, go back on the water for a good long run to get everything dried up.

Don't overwork the starter. It's ok to give it breaks of 1 or 2 minutes so it cools down. If it doesn't start after some cranking (maybe 20 seconds crank, 60-90 second break to prevent over working it?) Someone correct me if wrong please.

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great news, keep at it, and once they start, go back on the water for a good long run to get everything dried up.

Don't overwork the starter. It's ok to give it breaks of 1 or 2 minutes so it cools down. If it doesn't start after some cranking (maybe 20 seconds crank, 60-90 second break to prevent over working it?) Someone correct me if wrong please.
Good advice! Maybe even shorter crank and longer breaks... or things can start melting/burning...

Doncore3000

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I went and bought an inline spark checker and when I got back I decided to try and start it again. It almost fired up but right as it sounded like it was running a bunch of water came out of the exhaust. So I waited and tried again and the same thing happened. Water only comes out right as its sounding like it's about to start, so should I just keep trying?

Doncore3000

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It's only happened about 4 of the 20 times I've tried starting it.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, keep going.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It will catch, you are close

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice!!! Go spray the engine some more. Did you take the boat out again? How's the oil look? If it's milky you should change it a few times. You should also run the engine u up to operating temperature, so go on a 30-60 minute cruise at speed to warm everything up and boil away the water.

Ride it like you stole it....

This will ensure all the water is gone.

Congrats on the save, now to seal the deal.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hopefully you will not answer as you are out running the thing like mad right now. Then: Fresh or salt water?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hot damn! It worked! Thanks for all the help![flag]🍻 I'm tempted to seal that drain plug for good and manually siphon out the bilge after every trip. LOL!
Awesome!!!!!
Few changes of oil.
I would douse the engine and electric connectors in something that repels water, there are dielectric sprays, silicone, crc6-56, whatever you like.

Get EZ locks, it won’t happen again!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is the EZ locks refresher.

One more thing about EZ locks. Those really ARE easy, and I'm pretty sure I am the first person on the planet who managed to goof up with the install... :oops: But just for the record -- here is what I've learned.

1. Watch the @Cobra Jet Steering LLC video clip

2. Drill close to the top -- see the pictures below -- I goofed up on the right, the left is the correct location of the hole.

When installed in the correct location (left in the pic), the locks do not "lock" when the plug is "open".
I know... it is obvious. But I still managed to drill the first hole too low... Before I realized my mistake.

This is what you want to see when the plug is open:

View attachment 47399

And closed:
View attachment 47400

View from top (open/closed):

--