• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Drastically different hours on engine

Josserman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Bought ‘14 242 LS from best friend, he got it in ‘15 for a very low price, and didn’t put much hours at all on it, had someone else care for it, and never really got into boating. I realized however the engines are showing VERY different hours. One engine shows 165 hours and the other 60 hours. When I bought it from him a month ago the lower hour engine was at 40 or 45 hrs.

Both engines look mint, and he certainly didn’t have them replaced. It seems very unlikely that someone would have replaced one of the motors in the first year of ownership before selling it to the dealer he bought it from.

What gives here? Is it possible to reset engine hours somehow?

Trying to figure out what maintenance I need to do on this thing, also can’t seem to get it to go over 43mph with people on it, so thinking maybe some work is in order. Going to go out solo on Friday and see if I can get it to hit 50+.

I’m sure someone else will chime in here but I believe that means that one of the tachs was replaced.

Where are you seeing the engine hours at? Pulling it off with Yamaha scan equipment? In the Tachs? An aftermarket hourmeter?

Tachs... do these things have obd2 ports that I can use a car scanner with by chance lol?

In new Connext boats you are stuck with a dealer to read hours/RPM/error codes off of the ECUs but with your boat you might be able to use the Yamaha YDS system?

I bet it's the tach that was replaced.

--

Non-Connext boat, right?
If I'm not mistaken, leaving a key "on" ran the hour meter regardless of the motor running - I bet someone left one on till the battery went dead and the true hours are 60.

But wouldn’t that have shown on both of them?

I’ve been reading countless threads about the top speed on these. If I had about 1200-1400lbs on it, and in the ocean (Long Island sound), is it reasonable that I wouldn’t hit over 43mph?

My gut tells me I need to do some service on it, but don’t want to pull it from the water.

but don’t want to pull it from the water
If you wet slip - there is your answer!
A clean hull will gain you several mph, all else being equal.

--

--
ahh ok.. yes its wet slipped

Yes if you wet slip growth is likely on your hull. You should pull it out as needed to clean the hull from time to time or else your speed and gas efficiency will suffer.

https://strangfordloughnationaltrust.wordpress.com/2013/05/01/its-a-hull-lot-better-this-week/

maxs-pic-tringare.jpg

Wow that’s crazy! It’s only been in the water for about a month now where I have it (down the channel a ways from the sound where it’s partial salt). It was in the water before in a lake, but when I took it the bottom looked clean. It has been painted.

I'm guessing replaced tach at some point. Maybe the dealer it was originally purchased from would have the service records if your friend says he didn't replace anything? Its worth a phone call. That would drive me insane. I get mad that mine are 0.4 off. lol

--

Driving solo yesterday I got into the upper 40’s, maybe 47, not certain exactly the top speed.

mhh, something is weird.
was the lake flat ?

I have a brand new 2018 and am having similar issues. At 3.7 hours both engines somehow reset to zero. At 7 hours I had the 10 hour service and the dealer confirmed 10.7 on each engine. Now after 2 weeks of vacation I “lost”another 3 hours but only on the starboard engine. The fresh water shower also keeps shutting off but can be reset and I occasionally get a “comm error.”

I am starting to think my connext is faulty. Thoughts?

Thanks Scoop

was the ocean flat ?

Back