• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Drilling a hole in the bottom of my boat. Any tips or tricks.

thcole

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For the last few days I have been working on installing a ballast system I bought from Spencer at Wakemakers.com. In the next day or two I will be drilling a 1 inch hole in the back of the boat for the intake. I plan to reverse the drill to score the fiberglass first then cut through the transom. Then use 4200 to seal the area as well as possible when I install the intake. Any hints or tricks out there to help with the process and maybe ease my mind a little.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You are doing the right thing, don't worry about it.

20131227_162241.jpg

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Your plan sounds like a winner.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For the last few days I have been working on installing a ballast system I bought from Spencer at Wakemakers.com. In the next day or two I will be drilling a 1 inch hole in the back of the boat for the intake. I plan to reverse the drill to score the fiberglass first then cut through the transom. Then use 4200 to seal the area as well as possible when I install the intake. Any hints or tricks out there to help with the process and maybe ease my mind a little.
If you don't plan on removing the part you are installing, use 5200 fast cure. Much better below the water line IMO. Tape the spot before you drill. Have fun! :cool:

thcole

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thats where I was planning on putting the intake at. I was thinking about putting a 90 on the intake then a riser up to a shut off valve. Do you happen to have a picture of the inside of the bilge.

thcole

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I do have some 5200 left from when I replaced my Scupper, is it significantly better.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I do have some 5200 left from when I replaced my Scupper, is it significantly better.
That's a question, right?

From 3M website:

4200FC White bonds and seals fiberglass, gel coat and wood. Ideal for rub-rails, stern-joints, deck and through-hull fittings, and access plates. Medium strength allows for disassembly.

5200 White adhesive sealant is extremely strong, retains its strength above or below water line. Stays flexible too - allows for structural movement. Has excellent resistance to weathering and salt water.

The one thing they leave out is that the 5200 is practically permanent. I once had to use a 5 lb. sledge to remove deck hardware that was bedded using 5200. That shit doesn't give. The 4200 can be removed much easier.
Either one will "Probably" do the job at hand, but since this is a pump fitting it could be subjected to stress or torque when the pump is activated. I'd hate to see it start leaking at that location, it would be a pain to fix.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thats where I was planning on putting the intake at. I was thinking about putting a 90 on the intake then a riser up to a shut off valve. Do you happen to have a picture of the inside of the bilge.

I do not have a picture but that is exactly what I did.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
header 2_resize.JPG Here is a shot of the inner area before the intake was added and a second showing my intake with the 9o and shutoff valve. I had planned to go vertical and put the shutoff higher but it was harder to fit. My goal was to hardpipe up to the shutoff. Cam.

ke this? Ballast throughull 03_resize.JPG

exh support in place_resize.JPG