• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Driveshaft stuck

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Number 2 tube with splines is pressed into the bearings in the intermediate bearing housing it can move , actually when you replace the bearings or as I do just replace the entire intermediate Bering housing you have to press out the number 2 tube and install it in the correct depth when you reinstall it in the new housing. One motor mount breaking won't mover the engine forward to my knowledge but it will allow the engine to torque up and that can wear the splines in the number 2 tube as well as on the driveshaft.
The splines may have worn an indentation in themselves on both the drive shaft and the inside splines of the number 2 tube and this is creating a recess that is locking them together so try tapping them back together and turning the power take off wheel "number 32" attached to the number 2 tube backward and see if it releases I think running with a bad motor mount could have done damage inside the tube and to the drive shaft splines.

Marcio Fazzio Martins

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ve tried all these options and it does not move.
Unfortunately there is no other way than cutting the shaft.
Question now is… the only tool will fit easily is a reciprocating saw.
Any ideas the best way to cut it?

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The one thing that I can’t figure out is, if the intermediate shaft has slid out 1” as it appears on the picture, and the end of the drive shaft is somewhere inside the bearing house, how is it possible that This joint point is so much inside the boat if the impeller is still attached and ,of course, the drive shaft cannot simply grow in length.
The only way I can think about is that both shafts are still attached but had already slid out a little bit Inside the bearing housing.
Does it make sense?
That is very good point, the only ways the joint could be inside the bearing assembly would be either if the bearing at the impeller end has pulled out of the housing or like you said the drive shaft has partially come out of the intermediate shaft.

The only thing I can think of doing at this point is to try and get the intermediate shaft back through the bearing so you can see the joint. At that point I would carefully heat the shafts up, heat usually works freeing up stuck parts.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Also You can try to unscrew the disc from the number 2 tube and if you can get the disc out of the way and that is threaded then you can carefully slice the tube and that is a lot easier to replace than a drive shaft and the tube.

grumpy_steven

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Before you cut the drive shaft, try this...

The midshaft (part #2 in the diagram) is hollow. Remove the coupler from the midshaft and get some solvent onto the driveshaft splines. Then try tapping the driveshaft out from the front of the midshaft. If that doesn't work, drill out the middle of the coupler and re-install it on the midshaft. Then use a puller to pull on the coupler while pressing against the driveshaft.