• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

DriveX Impressions

TommyMcK

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Just got a 255XD for my place in Florida. I've had a 222XD on the Chesapeake for a year and a half now, so I have it to compare to. Just a few initial impressions:

1. Like with the DRiVE equipped 222, I find the paddles on the 255 to be gimmicky. No better, no worse, but I find that it has less control than it does when in normal throttle mode.

2. The lack of rudder is noticeable. You have some small measure of steering control on the 222 in neutral when adding puffs of power, and none whatsoever on the 255. No biggie, and expected, but it's a difference.

3. The "spin" mode is only so-so. Makes a ton of noise and throws up a ton of water and in the end, doesn't seem any better than doing it manually.

4. The lateral mode does not (with my limited experience with it) make the thing go sideways. It sort of goes sideways, but I didn't find any combination of control inputs that allow you to keep the boat parallel to the dock while moving. The bow or stern seem to want to kick out or in. Maybe I'll sort this out over time, but it's most definitely not a matter of pushing the button and having the boat slip sideways.

Having said all of that I love the boat. I'm a fan of the throttle and steering by wire on both boats, and the whole experience is great. For those thinking up upgrading because they want DriveX, I'd try before you buy. In my case, it didn't really matter. I wanted 25', and I wanted the wake series and the color combo that comes with the XD package, so I'm a happy camper.