• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Drone (Quadcopter) advice needed

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have two Syma X5C quadcopters that we thoroughly enjoy. They are on the toy end of the spectrum and only cost me about $65 each when I bought them. While I am getting better at flying them, I sometimes lose orientation when they get too high and then the panic sets in. (Those of you with drones will understand) I have had several adventures retrieving them. I see that Syma now offers the X5SW which has First Person View (FPV). http://www.amazon.com/Syma-Headless-Support-360-degree-Quadcopter/dp/B00X7D1MR2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432554884&sr=8-1&keywords=syma+x5sw
Will this help on keeping orientated or is it just one more learning curve to overcome? Does the Wi-Fi drain the battery on the drone significantly faster?
My desire is to stay with this model because I have 16 batteries for it now. Anyone with experience flying FPV?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
you need @Ronnie

I've never used a drone but the last time I read about them they had a GPS "return to base" mode so that if it ran low on batteries or for some reason lost connection with the remote it would retrace it steps back home,

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yes but those features are only on the nice expensive ones. I am starting slow with the cheap toys to see if I want to ramp up to spending $1500. It is a lot of fun to have the neighbors join me in the cul-de-sac and fly them around.

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had a Syma X1 before buying the X5C, the batteries are completely different. Just be sure that the X5SW uses the same batteries. I would also be wary of the FPV range. They claim 50 meters wifi range and my guess is it will start to cut out before that. As long as you are good with 160ft range I think it will be a good buy.

Let us know what you decide.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm not familiar with your model, but I am with FPV.
I fly a Phantom 2 Vision. You are limited with respect to the distance the Wi-Fi signal will allow you fly from the transmitter. Many upgrade with larger more powerful transmitters and better antennas on the UAV.

FPV is great. I sat on the steps of the toy hauler and followed my buddy on his dirt bike for a pretty good distance from camp. I couldn't see the Phantom at all due to distance and the blinding sun. I wouldn't recommend doing that in populated areas,but we were the only camp for miles in the desert.

It's amazing, the view from 500' really gives you a great perspective.
If you don't currently fly FPV then unless your devices have their own power source, you will probably run the battery down faster. I've only flown FPV so far.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just started fpv flying this month really. I bought and tested the gear but only have 3 to 4 flights with it currently. Having flown nitro powered pod and boom rc helis for over a decade it is hard for me to get used to flying in fpv with the goggles . If it is just projecting to a cell phone or tablet it is a huge help I'm framing the shot and keeping you oriented.

THe features you get with a quad copter vary. Many have a fail safe return to take off point or land if radio communication is lost. I can't tell you if wifi decreases the battery life faster since fpv was already integrated into the quad copter I use but I am sure it costs something.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I run FPV on my Phantom 2, but have also added the OSD-Mini. The On Screen Display includes telemetrics that you may find in a plane as well.

This includes, but is not limited to: Height (meters) distance from remote (meters) Direction, and an icon that quickly shows direction to the remote. It also overlays the battery reading from the Quad, the remote and the 7" FPV display. I can also see if my GoPro is recording, and at what resolution. You hate to take off just to find that a KM out and your GoPro is just sending video without recording. That is one advantage of the Vision version of the Phantom.

All in all, it is a step well above the entry-level FPV setup. Without FPV, the best you can do is watch LED's on the quad that show front to back, or decals on the front or back. That is assuming you can see it from the ground. I can usually tell when my Quad is facing towards me as the FPV video will degrade at distance. If I setup the antenna properly it can be out 550 meters with minimal degradation in video quality no matter the orientation. After 550 meters, I usually have to keep it pointed away from me, so the antenna is on my side.

Good luck!

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You guys are way ahead of me on this. I am just trying to figure out if I want to continue going deeper. The cheap FPV I am looking at would help me determine my path. I really enjoy the videos you guys post up. I wish I lived closer to pick your brains.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You guys are way ahead of me on this. I am just trying to figure out if I want to continue going deeper. The cheap FPV I am looking at would help me determine my path. I really enjoy the videos you guys post up. I wish I lived closer to pick your brains.
I tried to do the same thing.....didn't work for me. I flew the cheapo quad two times, it's in the box in the garage.
The more advanced units are so easy in comparison. I'd like to move up to a two controller unit, that way I can focus on flying and let someone else focus on filming.

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Buck just ask man !!!