• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Drop hitch, Jeep Wrangler (3" lift) with receiver height of 23"?

Swimmingly

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The trailer in question is my new FSH Sport, which I'll be hauling home soon. Any 19' jet boat trailer should be very close to the same ideal height (measured at the base of the trailer ball opening, from the ground).

I still need to buy a drop hitch for my Jeep Wrangler. The base (bottom of the 2" square opening) of my hitch is at 23" off the ground. My trailer, without a vehicle attached, and sitting at the dealer, looked almost level at the base of the ball/tongue, which I cranked down to 18" off the ground-maybe a little too high. Those measurements should mean I need a 5" drop hitch, but I'm hoping another Jeep owner, with a 19' jet boat, can chime in and confirm for me.

Your Wrangler doesn't have to have a lift because I can add or subtract the 3" of lift from my own measurements (23"). I'm kinda picky about my trailer (and the tongue weight) sitting just right on the ball. Between the unlevel ground at my dealership and not actually having a vehicle attached to the trailer, it's not real obvious if the trailer height should be at 16" or 18" off the ground (measured at the base of the trailer, where the ball is secured).

I'll add that I prefer not to get an adjustable height drophitch because they're usually about 3x heavier than a dedicated-sized hitch has to be and also because one solid piece of gear is usually better than something consisting of three or four pieces/sections (the adjustable hitches).

Thanks in advance.

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You will have to factor how much your Jeeps squats with the tongue weight of the trailer as well. I would buy a couple of different ball mounts with different drops, figure out which works the best and return the one that does not.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I could not be a bigger fan of my Jeep (JKU-R) but towing capacity is not it's strength. 2K-3.5K, depending on the model.
Boat is 2.3K, dry, w/o trailer

I know mine could pull my 242X (and I could probably get it to stop ;-), but I also know that insurance will not cover any accident I might have while doing so-

Be careful & know your numbers-

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I could not be a bigger fan of my Jeep (JKU-R) but towing capacity is not it's strength. 2K-3.5K, depending on the model.
Boat is 2.3K, dry, w/o trailer

I know mine could pull my 242X (and I could probably get it to stop ;-), but I also know that insurance will not cover any accident I might have while doing so-

Be careful & know your numbers-
I agree, the dry weight of the boat shows 2293 Lb's, plus whatever the trailer weighs, then add the weight of fuel and things you have on the boat.

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
20130407_134210.jpg
Sold mine the week after this was taken. Terrible at towing. Anyways, if your picky about getting it perfect, I went with adjustable reese hitch. It's 8 years old or so and works great.

Swimmingly

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My Jeep can tow 3500 lbs, and the boat will be empty for the most part, so I should be OK with the weight restriction.

Kinda funny, but after reading the great posts - thanks btw, I plan to test my rear end's droop by standing on the back of my Jeep and having an innocent bystander measure droop for me! 200 lbs of human (10% 0f 2000 lbs) should get the droop pretty close to the same effect my trailer tongue will have on the back end lol.

@ClemsonTiger did your jeep have a ball mount with zero drop? The ball mount looks level with your receiver opening, in the profile pic of your white two-door Jeep.

Also, I plan to take the long way home to avoid the Sun shine Sky-way, which is a HUGE bridge with a long, steep incline...super high. Very windy and not much wiggle room up there (in event there's a problem).

Swimmingly

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just ordered a 4" drop Alumstinger type ball mount (hitch mount). With my Jeep's 1" of spring droop plus the 4" of drop, that'll put the base of my 2" ball at 18" of the ground. I think part of the visual issue with determining if my trailer is level is the larger tongue size/folding tongue. Never used or even noticed folding tongues. I'll post a pic when I get everything attached behind my Jeep/tow rig (including my FSH Sport!).

Once I get her home, it'll be a rare occasion that I trailer the boat, which hugely influenced my purchase to get into boating in the first place.

greg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I run a 3" drop hitch with my jeep. No lift but with 35's. So it is close to stock height.

viggen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Dough, if your JKU had the 3.8 they suck even w/o pulling anything, horrible engine... The newer 3.6 is far superior... But it still is 100hp short of what it really needs

Many state the reason other parts of the work have a 1,000 lb higher towing capacity with these vehicles is simply due to better brakes

If towing something with a bit of tongue weight I would add air bags to the back springs so you can level out the ride when towing.