• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Drotto or Ramp-n-clamp for FSH

bolivas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So, last year I bought the Drotto | Automatic Boat Latch Detail | Catch N Release Boat Latch

But it has never worked on my 19' 210 FSH. 🤦‍♂️ I got tired of messing with it and threw it on the bench.... during spring cleaning, I thought I'd give it some attention to find out what the problem is. Come to find out, the website has now updated that this will not work on stepped hulls (like mine/yours).

My question is, has anyone found a similar product to work on these hulls?

I see the Ramp-N-Clamp Automatic Boat to Trailer Latch, Auto latch
also now has a similar disclaimer.....

Thanks for your input.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had the boat buddy ii and replaced it years ago with the ramp n clamp. People told me it wouldn’t work. They were either just wrong or I’m extraordinary. I’d like to believe the latter but think it’sthe former. Just by looking at the drotto I don’t see any reason it wouldn’t work on a 242, no clue about the FSH but only because I don’t have one nor have I ever seen one in person.

here is a video I put together of both in use.

bolivas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I had the boat buddy ii and replaced it years ago with the ramp n clamp. People told me it wouldn’t work. They were either just wrong or I’m extraordinary. I’d like to believe the latter but think it’sthe former. Just by looking at the drotto I don’t see any reason it wouldn’t work on a 242, no clue about the FSH but only because I don’t have one nor have I ever seen one in person.

here is a video I put together of both in use.

20210524_202213.jpg
It is hard to tell but where the paint changes color, the hull steps down and is receded about 1/2". It is not a smooth continuous hull. This change causes both products I listed to pivot out of the "catch range and both products state they will not work with a stepped hull. Sure wish this knowledge was provided before I bought it. Now it is way out of the return window since it has been sitting on the bench for about a year...... I am curious if anyone with a 19' 210 FSH has found a product that works?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The one thing I did was put scuff plates/guards above the bow eye. They help absorb the initial collision between the now and ramp n clamp. I used to have two but the RNC caught the edge of the plate closest to it while launching and bent the plate so I removed it completely.

I think the Drotto will work on an FSh or just about any boat. The key to all of these devices seems to be all about positioning. If you can drop your trailer into the ramp so the the bow eye is at the same height, or close to it, as the Drotto AND you can adjust the Drotto so that it’s angle matches that of your boat’s bow it should work stepped hull or not.

bolivas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The one thing I did was put scuff plates/guards above the bow eye. They help absorb the initial collision between the now and ramp n clamp. I used to have two but the RNC caught the edge of the plate closest to it while launching and bent the plate so I removed it completely.

I think the Drotto will work on an FSh or just about any boat. The key to all of these devices seems to be all about positioning. If you can drop your trailer into the ramp so the the bow eye is at the same height, or close to it, as the Drotto AND you can adjust the Drotto so that it’s angle matches that of your boat’s bow it should work stepped hull or not.
Unfortunately it does not work on the 210 FSH. I have given it the the ol' college try and because of the stepped hull, it causes the bow eye to fall to shallow for the drotto to grab/engage. We spent about an hour on the ramp one day and that's the day it went and sat in the bench when we got home. Seems to me that if I was to "fill the gap" or install a scuff plate around the bow eye, it would also require a longer bow eye in order to engage the striker/clamp.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Unfortunately it does not work on the 210 FSH. I have given it the the ol' college try and because of the stepped hull, it causes the bow eye to fall to shallow for the drotto to grab/engage. We spent about an hour on the ramp one day and that's the day it went and sat in the bench when we got home. Seems to me that if I was to "fill the gap" or install a scuff plate around the bow eye, it would also require a longer bow eye in order to engage the striker/clamp
I assumed the drotto came with a longer bow eye. The boat buddy ii and I’m pretty sure the ramp n clamp did. I may have a spare laying around here. They can’t be that expensive when compared to the cost of the device. I’d be interested in trying to make it work.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For anyone interested, here is a pic of step at the bow of my hull (2010 242 LS). There are actually two steps that gradually taper off towards the front. The larger step. Is probably about a half inch wide at the center of the bow.
49CE8C69-EA3D-4D03-B7A6-0922AEA8E0B8.jpeg

JASmith

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have the Ramp-N-Clamp on my 210 FSH trailer. works great. We love that I can back the trailer into the water while the wife is lining up the boat, and in less than a minute we're pulling away.

We've been applauded by many people. The wife always gets all the credit though. (It was my idea damnit!) :)

Did I mention it's really fun to make everyone else look like amateur hour?

bolivas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have the Ramp-N-Clamp on my 210 FSH trailer. works great. We love that I can back the trailer into the water while the wife is lining up the boat, and in less than a minute we're pulling away.

We've been applauded by many people. The wife always gets all the credit though. (It was my idea damnit!) :)

Did I mention it's really fun to make everyone else look like amateur hour?
Did you have to change out the bow eye to a longer one? I have a 2019 210 FSH. Not sure if there is a difference in the hull design from 2019 to 2020? Bow Eye 01.jpgBow Eye 02.jpg

bolivas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have an extended bow eye for you if you want it @bolivas
Hello Ronnie. Thank you again for your replies and help. I am in Colorado about 40 miles northeast of Denver. I may be interested in the extended bow eye, but for the moment I think I will hold off. I am going to bite the bullet and buy the ramp-n-clamp to see if it will work. If not, I will investigate to see if the extended bow eye will even help in my situation. I keep holding out to see if there is a fellow 2019 210FSH owner who has had success with one of the products. So far @JASmith is the closest model/year as mine and since he has had luck w/ the ramp-n-clamp, I am gonna give'er a shot.

JASmith

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yeah I had to change the bow eye, the Ramp-N-Clamp came with the extended one. It's a pretty simple affair though!

The hull is the same for all 210 FSH's though so you should be good to go!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I wasn’t sure if the RNC came with a longer bow eye or not. I got mine used so the spare long bow eye I have may be from the boat buddy. I’m pretty sure the bow eye I have installed now is from the boat buddy.
@bolivas just let me know your mailing address via a conversation if you want my spare. Also if you are going to sell your Drotto let me know I may buy it just for the challenge if the price and timing is right.

by the way I use my winch as a step quite often and think the Drotto’a extended release arm would get in the way which is why I’m not that interested in it. Clearly it’s more sturdy than the boat buddy.If I wasn’t already happy with the Rnc I’d be looking a lot more closely at the Drotto.

bolivas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I wasn’t sure if the RNC came with a longer bow eye or not. I got mine used so the spare long bow eye I have may be from the boat buddy. I’m pretty sure the bow eye I have installed now is from the boat buddy.
@bolivas just let me know your mailing address via a conversation if you want my spare. Also if you are going to sell your Drotto let me know I may buy it just for the challenge if the price and timing is right.

by the way I use my winch as a step quite often and think the Drotto’a extended release arm would get in the way which is why I’m not that interested in it. Clearly it’s more sturdy than the boat buddy.If I wasn’t already happy with the Rnc I’d be looking a lot more closely at the Drotto.
Unfortunately, I have already promised the drotto to a buddy of mine. I really wanted to make it work but, no bueno...... Sounds like the RNC comes w/ the extended bow eye, so I don't think I will be needing yours. Thank you for the offer though. It is very kind of you.