• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Dual Batteries Question

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Has anyone noticed that both batteries have to be on to use the stereo on their 2021 212 models? I haven't investigated yet, but shouldn't I be able to turn the house battery on and use my accessories? Right now, I have to turn the starter battery on as well to do anything. They should be isolated. I think they may be wired incorrectly. They were installed by the dealer. The emergency battery switch is in the off position as it should be. Just wondering if anyone has noticed this. Thanks

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Yes that is correct atleast for 2021. Both need to be on.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Both need to be on here.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Ok. Still doesn't make a lot of sense. Then why have an off/on switch, and emergency on/off switch to combine them. So if I'm playing my stereo, I'm really draining both batteries? I'm going to ask the dealer about this. This defeats the whole purpose of a house battery.

oramac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok. Still doesn't make a lot of sense. Then why have an off/on switch, and emergency on/off switch to combine them. So if I'm playing my stereo, I'm really draining both batteries? I'm going to ask the dealer about this. This defeats the whole purpose of a house battery.
Doesn't it have something to do with the stereo running through the Connext system? Amplifiers might be run to the house battery, but the Connext is with the start batteries because of the engine management features, and the audio doesn't work independently of the Connext. I certainly could be wrong, but I think I read that somewhere about the upgraded Connext systems the more premium boats have. I have the smaller Connext screen and a standalone Infinity stereo on my SX210.

Augieol65

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I believe it’s because the key switches which trigger the connext system to start up have to be in on system and also obv are used to start the engines. If you turn both off the whole system shuts down thus why you have to turn one engine off and return the key to the on position before shutting the second engine down to prevent the system from cutting it off. I believe the connext draws current from the house though because prior to attaching the dsvr cable the dealer forgot I had the house battery die on the water while running the engines. The connext and everything cut out but the engines continued to run. Shut stuff down and restarted the engines fine but still no power to the system. Once I figured out why the house battery was never being charged due to the disconnected DSVR everything has functioned perfectly.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Has anyone noticed that both batteries have to be on to use the stereo on their 2021 212 models? I haven't investigated yet, but shouldn't I be able to turn the house battery on and use my accessories? Right now, I have to turn the starter battery on as well to do anything. They should be isolated. I think they may be wired incorrectly. They were installed by the dealer. The emergency battery switch is in the off position as it should be. Just wondering if anyone has noticed this. Thanks
It shouldn't matter. My 2020 is sort of the same - I can run the stereo and Connext with just the House switch on, but if the Start is off then the Connext complains every few minutes that my Start is at zero volts and thinks there's a problem. The stereo is wired to the House battery along with the rest of the boat accessories (my amp is too), so only the house battery is used to power the system. The Start doesn't get touched for anything except starting the engines unless you combine the two. You can verify the wiring is ok by watching the Start/House battery voltages when floating. My Start will sit at 12.6v all day with the engines off, while the House will slowly drop as the stereo is used.

Augieol65

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@212s is right just checked mine functions exactly as he described. Everything other than starting functions with just house on.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
@212s is right just checked mine functions exactly as he described. Everything other than starting functions with just house on.
I get nothing with the house battery on. Black screen....no power.....but mine is a 212SE with fly by wire

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I get nothing with the house battery on. Black screen....no power.....but mine is a 212SE with fly by wire
And a different Connext system. Previous years used a separate head unit for the stereo and the Connext connected over NMEA 2k connection to the head unit. The 2021 models with 12" Connext have the radio built into the Connext and runs the boat systems electronics - this may be why it requires both on for the system to see that everything is good to go.

No matter what system is used, it should be wired so the Start doesn't get used for anything other than starting.

mkbcaptain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Not sure if it is the same, but my 2020 210 FSH Sport will run the connects and the audio with the start battery off and just the house battery on.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I wouldn't even stress it at all. The amp wire is connected to the house. Even then, it is 10 gauge wire from factory - that thing is hardly pulling amps.

If you go aftermarket stereo just connect it straight to the house.

Jorgy11

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Don't stress it, just don't be an idiot and never touch the yellow one unless needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1615993117585.png