• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Dual battery kit chosen enough?

Milwmarc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2006 at 230. New fresh batteries. One starter, added 2nd deep cycle large at 845 amps.

Run stero off 2nd battery 3 to 4 hours ..come home..charge in the built in Nico charger installed.

Now for those few times I'm out 2 3 day weekends and no access to charge. I'm considering ad a battery kit

Run one small 500 watt skarz amp, one effecinet powered bazooka sub .

No clue how to figure out expected amp hours at say 40 percent volume...so. Thought.ad on ad a battery kit may help..

Would this suffice?
Blue Sea Systems Add-A-Battery Kit Amazon.com : Blue Sea Systems Mini Add-A-Battery Kit - 65A : Boating Electrical Equipment : Sports & Outdoors

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Your new deep cycle battery is probably a hybrid, because a true deep cycle is never rated in CCA, they are rated in Amp-hrs. That being said, it was the right choice as it can serve as a backup starting battery.

What battery switch arrangements do you currently have?

That is a great little kit. I doubt you would ever have a 65Amp load between the batteries as the startors don't put out much excess power.

Is the Noco a single or dual output? You'll have to ensure it does not trigger the ACR if it's a dual output.

500W ÷ 12V = 42A (that's probably only peak, average is more likely around 15A)
15A x 3 hrs = 45A Hrs.

If you bought a 100Ah marine battery, it is safe to discharge by 50% before recharge, thus 50Ahr.

Great ressource: Basic to Advanced Battery Information from Battery University

Last edited:

Milwmarc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your new deep cycle battery is probably a hybrid, because a true deep cycle is never rated in CCA, they are rated in Amp-hrs. That being said, it was the right choice as it can serve as a backup starting battery.

What battery switch arrangements do you currently have?

That is a great little kit. I doubt you would ever have a 65Amp load between the batteries as the startors don't put out much excess power.

Is the Noco a single or dual output? You'll have to ensure it does not trigger the ACR if it's a dual output.

500W ÷ 12V = 42A (that's probably only peak, average is more likely around 15A)
15A x 3 hrs = 45A Hrs.

If you bought a 100Ah marine battery, it is safe to discharge by 50% before recharge, thus 50Ahr.

Great ressource: Basic to Advanced Battery Information from Battery University
Marc my brain is now bleeding. I don't get amperage etc.

I bought the deep cycle at Napa and assume it could start boat as backup hybrid as well, it's not a gel or any specialty deep cycle. All I have is the original on off switch in the boat. My Novo is only charging my deep cycle..so sound like this kit is the one I'll need? Can use? I want simple.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, that is the kit you need.

Well, not need. But it is the one you will want. I have the bigger one, which works the same but (I learned later) is overkill. Basically, you hook it up as it says in the directions. When you get in the boat, you turn it 'on'. When you get out, you turn it 'off'. If you can't start it for some reason (which will never happen), you turn it to 'emergency start'. The magic little box (the ACR) manages you battery charging and discharging, so that you are separating the batteries when discharging (like when you are floating listening to music), but puts them together when they are charging (like when your motors are running).

You can just use the cheaper A, B, A+B switch, but then you need to manually switch it when you start the engines and when you stop to float... I did it for years. But the ACR is a much, much better solution for me.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
When you charge with the noco, if you wire the acr on the hot side of both batteries, it will trigger and parallel charge both batteries. (Also when the engine is running)

If you only want the Noco to charge the new battery, then both leads from the ACR need to be connected to the 2 switched terminals of the battery switch. That way, when the battery switch is on and the engine is running, the acr will trigger automatically and charge both batteries with the engine startor.

Milwmarc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks..ordered, it. I did look at and my Noco charges 2 batteries, not 1.so that may get a little weird figuring out how to wire this new fandangled thing properly.

Starter batter and a 2nd deep cycle powering only one 500 watt 4 channel amp, a small poweramplified bazooka and the Sony radio itself.

Milwmarc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When you charge with the noco, if you wire the acr on the hot side of both batteries, it will trigger and parallel charge both batteries. (Also when the engine is running)

If you only want the Noco to charge the new battery, then both leads from the ACR need to be connected to the 2 switched terminals of the battery switch. That way, when the battery switch is on and the engine is running, the acr will trigger automatically and charge both batteries with the engine startor.
Hopefully what you are writing with great detail makes sense to me when the parts show up.and I can see what your talking about.

I want it to charge both batteries when home plugged into the wall.

And when running on lake I want the on/off the ability to charge both batteries. That way I'm not as nervous about killing stereo battery quickly.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks..ordered, it. I did look at and my Noco charges 2 batteries, not 1.so that may get a little weird figuring out how to wire this new fandangled thing properly.
I used to think that. Actually, it is very easy:

On your Noco charger, you are going to have 4 wires--2 for each battery. Just hook them directly to the battery. Don't change anything else about the ACR. And that is it.

See, the ACR hooks the batteries together when it detects that there is charging going on. With the 2-bank charger hooked directly to the batteries, you are completing circuits on each battery--the ACR is not in either of those two circuits, so it cannot detect the charge. So it keeps them separate, which is just what you want for that type of charger. And it keeps them separate normally. Then, when you are running the boat, the stators charge the batteries--that one goes through the ACR. When the ACR detects that charge, it hooks the batteries together so they both charge when running the boat. Exactly how you want it to be.

Milwmarc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

On your Noco charger, you are going to have 4 wires--2 for each battery. Just hook them directly to the battery. Don't change anything else about the ACR. And that is it.

See, the ACR hooks the batteries together when it detects that there is charging going on. With the 2-bank charger hooked directly to the batteries, you are completing circuits on each battery--the ACR is not in either of those two circuits, so it cannot detect the charge. So it keeps them separate, which is just what you want for that type of charger. And it keeps them separate normally. Then, when you are running the boat, the stators charge the batteries--that one goes through the ACR. When the ACR detects that charge, it hooks the batteries together so they both charge when running the boat. Exactly how you want it to be.
Tdonoughue, I don't know your name sir...but....sniffle...."you had me a hello". Thank you. One of several, shelter in place it's too damn cold and rainy here in Wisconsin weather so lets do boat projects for the year. Skar Audio parts came today to increase wattage yet again...not for me...but for my 18 and 21 yr old "we gotta surf to loud tunes kids" But it keeps em close to me this summer. But I'll feel much better know that house batter will now charge with this system. I may post a pic or 2...but my brain now can most likely figure it out. I've done enough projects on this boat I think I could almost build it from scratch. Well not the fiberglass layup...that sounds terrible.. Thanks again for the clear information.

Milwmarc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

One other quick question for your input, getting it all installed in the garage tonight. All worked, when I shut it to off, my stereo loses its memory.

So I have the radio running off battery 2. Can I take that out of the on/off switch and just leave radio hooked directly to the 2nd house battery. That way it doesn't get turned completely off and lose memorey when I switch off. It draws minimal current than and retains its memory setting

When I turn the on off switch that also turns off accesories and that trips the "turn radio off accesory", but would than retain memory when I had it with the origin switch.

Writing out now in my head I assume the answer is yes. Just keep amp and radio wired dorectly to house battery (2nd battery) NOT have it inside the in off switch. To A. Retain radio memory but .ire imoortant B. Than when running it should hopefully keep both batteries charging.

Thanks in advance. Im a financial advisor by day and semi unprofessional electricion and audiophile at night.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
The stereo may have 2 wires. 1 for power and another for memory. Do you have a picture of the original wiring? Which model is it?

Has the market hit the bottom or is there new low pending once the quarterly reports start coming in?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lol. @Milwmarc , lawyer by day here, unprofessional electrician, etc. by night. And the name is Tim. :)

On most head units there is one wire for power hooked to the accessory circuit and one wire for constant power. You just have your constant one hooked to the switch and it should go around that (though a fuse) directly to the battery. Which head unit do you have?

Sorry I can't get you pics. Mine is 30 min away up at the lake (and I just finished work today).

Milwmarc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey guys thanks for the help. I wired up a new high power Sony Mex 100bt last year..has the cutest little amp 4 jl speakers and a bazooka marine enclosed sub. System loud and clear for my needs but now boys want 500 watts of skar audio 8 inchers on the waketower .hence why I decided to ad this switch.

Yes there should be a power And a memory switch..but last year on a 14 yr old boat with a rats nest of wiring the original owner cut blindly and with force...well I cleaned it all up and bypassed a few wires.

Memory and power I believe if i remeber last year i ran off a distribution block so I wouldnt have to run 2 wires all the way back to the batteries.

I guess I can make it easy.

Will me running stereo And amp wire directly to the battery impact the new on/off acr switch.

If it will still charge both batteries with the amp wire out of the equation I'll just do that.

What I wouldn't give for this covid madness to be done and for one of you to live 15 minutes from wind lake Wisconsin. Some things are easier seen than explained..but I do appreciate it.

And YES I won't say what company I work for as a limited partner, but I would say with 80 Percent certainty between now and end of August there will be another dip/market correction/buying opportunity. I for one can't wait to make some hay..hence the reason I update a 14 yr old boat and keep Lots of cash on the sidelines to make investments. A bigger draught is.coming....HE with the water, seeds soil and cash will be king.

Too.many expensive hobbies, plus tons of travel And I live in the rule invest 60 percent of every paycheck, live on 40.percent..rant over. But yes..a wave is coming of we call it "the W". We are in the middle of the W as I type this. Down, up, down,up.

Attached is picture of cleaned up stereo wiring although that wont help with my acr question.

Attachments

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The stereo memory wire directly to the batteries should not affect the ACR or anything. No worries there.

The amp you should leave connected through the switch. You want that to go off when you turn off the boat. Last thing you want is some problem leaving that on and draining your batteries.

(and I agree with you on the market)

Milwmarc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The stereo memory wire directly to the batteries should not affect the ACR or anything. No worries there.

(and I agree with you on the market)

I'm so confidant in this market pull back that i took nearly 7 figures to cash this.week. We are 16 percent off the market high and nothing in the forecasts I read in my day job show me one good indicator for G.D.P or employment over the next one two 2 quarters.

It will come back stronger than ever but there's gonna be some blood in the water and I'm ready to grab the beast...maybe than ill.let myself buy a 2021 24 footer for cash...until than I LOVE this boat.

Memories can be made anywhere. In Wisconsin I just can't justify 70k for a boat I'll use 3 months a year. I loved my 1980's Dodge Ramcharger I bought for 1,800..Almost as my decked out 2020 F150 I just bought for 38 K cash a week ago ..just a little newer and a little less rusty.

Tha ks for the help, tomorrow I'll button up acr and start on 2nd amp/waketower speaker system

Milwmarc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Actually one more question. I DONT have a fuse between the hot in batteries and the acr. Should I add one to each hot wire? Diagram shows one.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I always have when installing ACRs in the past but I wonder if only 1 would be sufficient.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I put one on my battery post on each battery. Either a fuse or a circuit breaker would be advisable to protect your boat from electrical fire.

Milwmarc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for all the advice, you guys are awesome. It wasn't clean enough for my liking yesterday so I started froms scratch, created all new power line pigtails for everything including fuses on the acr pigtails and reinstalled everything. I also ran a direct wire from the radio lead (yellow constant power wire) direct to 2nd battery. The specific stereo has a high power small amp built in and needs direct connect for the constant voltage needed. Now I have the advantage of the ad a battery and charging along with memory retention on stereo. Works perfect and no chance of electrical fire.

Project one of season done, ad a battery.

Next up 500 watt additional amp with remote volume at helm to control the new 250/ channel waketower 8 inch speakers. Skar audio to compliment my Jl system with 10 inch marine bazooka sub.

After that, install my new perfect pass. Heard this install can be a bit of pain in dooopa with 06 systems with a relay.

Tomorrow it gets ceramic coat window tint

Lastly to round out beginning of May all new wood and carpeted bunks.

And it won't have even touched water yet.

For the amount spending so far this year around $3,100 I coulda taken a cruise for a week with the missus......but keeping me busy during covid "stay safe in place" take all your constitutional rights away 2020.

I hope all of you are finding constructive outlets during this time as well.

Can't wait to get this 48 yr old 240 lb "dad bod" body back out surfing.FB_IMG_1565223222299.jpg
ITS A GOOD LIFE.