• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Dual Battery Question-Voltage & Charging

skbishop90

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I have a 15' AR192. I installed a second Interstate Battery with the dual battery switch and charging relay from Blue Seas.

With these boats not having an alternator, is the stator output enough to properly keep charge on these batteries? I have one sub and amp wired to the house battery. When cruising I notice that on the gauge, I am registering 11.1-11.5v. I switch it to both batteries and it jumps to maybe 12.3v. Is there anything I need to do different?

Do I need to charge these batteries after every trip? I see other people with far more sophisticated stereo setups and I wonder if they have issues or how they remedy this issue?

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The stator output is enough to keep the batteries at whatever their current charge level is. It won't do much more than that. If you run the stereo (anything more than stock) with the engines off during the day, the stator will likely not recharge your batteries to full capacity. So with that said, eventually, you'll need to charge them. How often will just depend on your usage. There's a number of threads detailing how to add an onboard charger. That makes it really easy to top off the batteries overnight, or during the week, or what have you. It may not be absolutely required depending on your usage, but dead batteries on the water is no fun at all, and its pretty easy to prevent it.

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Always charge between trips. It's best to add an on board charger and make it part of your routine to plug it in after each outing. You will need to check the water level in the batteries once a month if you leave it plugged in.

Batteries don't like being used at a mid level charge. Battery life will be much better if kept at full charge.

skbishop90

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Good to know. I just dont have power close to where I store the boat. I'll have to come up with something creative in between trips!

Banditgrrr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length

skbishop90

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I cut the hole directly below the throttle. I have a 12". Its a little much so I have to dial down the amp and really stuff it with some sound deadening material. It still rattles a little but thats expected for where it is.

Banditgrrr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Any chance you have a picture? I've been contemplating getting an 8 channel amp and bridging two channels for a sub but I'm not convinced yet. I've seen a couple different areas where people have cut holes in our model boat but I'm thinking about trying an enclosed sub first like a Bazooka or something similar.

skbishop90

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I'd have to get one. I dont have one.

NickR

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Outside of an on-board charger are there any other options to top off the battery between uses? I have the same set up as the original poster and no access to shore power. I am thinking about using a DuraVolt 35V Solar Panel charger that I saw on amazon however not sure it’s enough to do the job. I am not overly knowledgeable on electricity. I am guessing my only other option would be to bring down an inverter every few weeks and throw on an board charger or portable charger plugged into that. I’m desperate for a better alternative here. Any help?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've heard the engines put out about 28 amps at full throttle. Not sure how much less at more normal cruising speeds. Figure conservatively at 20amps per hour of operation...It may or may not charge beyond your start of day charge, it depending on how much you drew, and how long the engines were running. Maybe a solar panel for between uses could give you the boost you need?

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Outside of an on-board charger are there any other options to top off the battery between uses? I have the same set up as the original poster and no access to shore power. I am thinking about using a DuraVolt 35V Solar Panel charger that I saw on amazon however not sure it’s enough to do the job. I am not overly knowledgeable on electricity. I am guessing my only other option would be to bring down an inverter every few weeks and throw on an board charger or portable charger plugged into that. I’m desperate for a better alternative here. Any help?
Virtually any 12v battery charger will work, but you'll need power obviously. If that's not available, then a gas generator, a jump box, or another battery capable of producing 110v would be your only options. Solar would likely work over the course of a week, if your charge time would be between weekends. If you only have one battery and truly no access to power, I'd probably buy a second battery, and swap it out every time. Charge the used one at home during the week. That's probably the cheapest and easiest solution.

NickR

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I guess I should’ve specified that I have the two deep cycle batteries set up on the Blue Sea add a battery system with the charging relay and switch. I just wasn’t sure if that was enough. As the previous poster said he’s had trouble keeping the batteries full as the strator isn’t returning them to full charge. Without the benefit of having shore power it seems my options are really limited. Can I use a jump box on batteries that aren’t dead to get them back to full? My idea was the solar panel would be a trickle charger of sorts and maintain the batteries a lot better than nothing at all. I appreciate the quick response Scottie.

jb32566

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
maybe buy a 3rd battery, put it in your truck before you leave and swap out whichever is weaker when you get on the water. then bring the weaker battery home and put it on a proper charger. not ideal, but maybe good insurance.

solar charging is a good option if you can.