• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Dual Battery set up

Joepiper151

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey Guys, I'm pretty new to boating and just picked up a 2012 SX190. I didn't notice when I checked the boat out but once i got home I saw that somebody has installed a dual battery set up in it. After looking around online it looks to be a Perko switch. Can anyone advise me how I should be running this? Its got positions 1 - All - 2. The seller had it set to All when I had it running attached to the hose pipe. Any input is much appreciated in this learning process.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey Guys, I'm pretty new to boating and just picked up a 2012 SX190. I didn't notice when I checked the boat out but once i got home I saw that somebody has installed a dual battery set up in it. After looking around online it looks to be a Perko switch. Can anyone advise me how I should be running this? Its got positions 1 - All - 2. The seller had it set to All when I had it running attached to the hose pipe. Any input is much appreciated in this learning process.
You need to figure out what’s running off each side of it. Try starting the boat in each of positions 1 and 2. If it doesn’t start on one of them then that should be your “house” battery for everything but the engine.
Position ALL would then only be used to charge both batteries when the engine is running, or for starting the boat in an emergency if your starter battery is dead.
If the engine starts in all positions (1,2,ALL) then you just have two batteries running everything & it would be good to switch it over to a Start/House setup.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Oh and...welcome and congratulations on the boat!

Joepiper151

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You need to figure out what’s running off each side of it. Try starting the boat in each of positions 1 and 2. If it doesn’t start on one of them then that should be your “house” battery for everything but the engine.
Position ALL would then only be used to charge both batteries when the engine is running, or for starting the boat in an emergency if your starter battery is dead.
If the engine starts in all positions (1,2,ALL) then you just have two batteries running everything & it would be good to switch it over to a Start/House setup.
Oh and...welcome and congratulations on the boat!
Thanks so much for the response. I'll check into that tonight. My girlfriend might not look at me like a mental case if i'm actually doing something while sat in the boat in the drive way now.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks so much for the response. I'll check into that tonight. My girlfriend might not look at me like a mental case if i'm actually doing something while sat in the boat in the drive way now.
They get over it :)

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Every load from the boat should be hooked up on the common post of the switch, the loads should not be distributed between the batteries.
After you confirm all of the loads are on the common post, you hook position 1 to battery 1 and position 2 to battery 2.
The negatives of the battery should be hooked together along with the negatives from the boat.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Every load from the boat should be hooked up on the common post of the switch, the loads should not be distributed between the batteries.
After you confirm all of the loads are on the common post, you hook position 1 to battery 1 and position 2 to battery 2.
The negatives of the battery should be hooked together along with the negatives from the boat.
That would just act as one big battery. That works, but then he doesn’t have the option of running start and house like all the dual battery boats come with from the factory.

Edit: I may be thinking of a more advanced switch than what’s on there. If it only has 3 terminals then it’s probably already set up how @ripler said. If that’s the case you can just use the switch to save one of your batteries for starting by switching it to the other when you’re sitting around listening to music.

Last edited:

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That would just act as one big battery. That works, but then he doesn’t have the option of running start and house like all the dual battery boats come with from the factory.

Edit: I may be thinking of a more advanced switch than what’s on there. If it only has 3 terminals then it’s probably already set up how @ripler said. If that’s the case you can just use the switch to save one of your batteries for starting by switching it to the other when you’re sitting around listening to music.
This is the setup I have, only my switch has an off position and unless the switch is on all, the batteries are separate. I switch to one battery and always have the second battery as backup. I have over 1800 watts in my stereo and have never had a battery die, I do plug the charger in when the boat isn't in use though. If I didn't recharge at home there is no way the batteries would stay charged with the Yamaha charging system.

Joepiper151

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is the setup I have, only my switch has an off position and unless the switch is on all, the batteries are separate. I switch to one battery and always have the second battery as backup. I have over 1800 watts in my stereo and have never had a battery die, I do plug the charger in when the boat isn't in use though. If I didn't recharge at home there is no way the batteries would stay charged with the Yamaha charging system.
Thanks for the responses guys. I forgot to add that mine does have an of switch also. I took it out this weekend and found out that both positions 1 and 2 start the boat. What charger system do you guys recommend for when its parked in my driveway/winter storage?