• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ecoboost owners... We making a mistake?

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Tomorrow we are going to likely buy a 2019 expedition with the gen2 3.5L Ecoboost and 10 speed auto. It checks all our boxes, and we liked the expedition we drove earlier. The only thing I'm iffy on (well, not only thing, I wouldn't mind some sun shades for $70k ya know?) is the Ecoboost motor.

Supposedly then gen2 is vastly improved over gen1. Anyone have/had an Ecoboost and have any opinion that would sway us? My parents had an explorer sport with the Ecoboost, and it wasn't exactly fast or good on gas, but my mother who drove it doesn't drove particularly well, and it was the old gen.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My 2017 F150 has the 3.5 ecoboost. @99k miles and trouble free. Pulls the boat with ease and avg 11.5 mpg towing- 17.5 driving mix of city/hwy. I would recommend. I had the 5.4 v8 prior and I think the ecoboost has more get up and go.

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
2018 and 2021 expedition max with tow package. Fantastic vehicles. Great towing ability 3.5 eco boost is great. You can’t find a better “halfton” tow vehicle

CarolinaJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2018 F150 3.5 ecoboost here. Towing is great, it’s honestly overkill for my 5000lb boat. I get lower mileage than others because I did a two inch leveling kit on the front and squeezed on oversized tires. I love the look now but there is a mileage penalty.

I also like that you can customize a lot about the vehicle using forscan, I have several mods from this such as showing actual temp values for transmission and engine oil.

I did have the cam phaser rattle problem. The dealer did the complete tear down and replacement under warranty 3 months ago, here is an in progress picture from them:
1648897267165.jpeg

it drives like a whole different truck post that repair, no complaints at all.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
2018 F150 3.5 ecoboost here. Towing is great, it’s honestly overkill for my 5000lb boat. I get lower mileage than others because I did a two inch leveling kit on the front and squeezed on oversized tires. I love the look now but there is a mileage penalty.

I also like that you can customize a lot about the vehicle using forscan, I have several mods from this such as showing actual temp values for transmission and engine oil.

I did have the cam phaser rattle problem. The dealer did the complete tear down and replacement under warranty 3 months ago, here is an in progress picture from them:
View attachment 174760

it drives like a whole different truck post that repair, no complaints at all.
I read about that issue a little, is it just rattly on cold starts?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have 2017 Ford Expedition Limited with the Ecoboost. Tows fantastic. I am pulling just under 5000lbs. It has the heavy duty tow package. I came from an F-150 with an Ecoboost. Couldn't have asked for a better vehicle than the Expedition for towing the boat and family trips. 97,000 miles on it.

CarolinaJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The cold start rattle is really loud, very obvious that something was wrong. If you have it you’ll know it, It would turn people’s heads in parking lots. it was also doing abrupt shifts where the engine and transmission were out of sync. After that repair it’s been smooth. They said they flashed it so I don’t know if that was programming or the cam phasers wear, but like I said, whole new truck.

You probably won’t have that issue. Other than that we are happy with it and I’d recommend that motor for towing!

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The cold start rattle is really loud, very obvious that something was wrong. If you have it you’ll know it, It would turn people’s heads in parking lots. it was also doing abrupt shifts where the engine and transmission were out of sync. After that repair it’s been smooth. They said they flashed it so I don’t know if that was programming or the cam phasers wear, but like I said, whole new truck.

You probably won’t have that issue. Other than that we are happy with it and I’d recommend that motor for towing!
Guarantee that’s the cam phaser- it’s a covered issue. Free update.

EJG5150

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Last fall I traded in my 2018 F150 with the ecoboost. I had the issue with cam phasers along with a solenoid you can not change easily . Loved the truck, but with a $4200 repair estimate I got rid of it and bought a new Chevy . Everything worked out for me . As I researched this and talked with mechanic friends it’s somewhat of a common thing I guess.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last fall I traded in my 2018 F150 with the ecoboost. I had the issue with cam phasers along with a solenoid you can not change easily . Loved the truck, but with a $4200 repair estimate I got rid of it and bought a new Chevy . Everything worked out for me . As I researched this and talked with mechanic friends it’s somewhat of a common thing I guess.
Ford covers the issue - free repair

EJG5150

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Ford covers the issue - free repair
Last September when I traded it in the warranty fix was not covered , also the solenoid was not at all covered. I asked the Ford dealer about both at the time. It was a lot of labor in that price obviously. It all worked out for me actually, got rid of a truck with 92k on it for new and lowered my payment .

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Update, we bought it. 2.5 hour drive home was easy oeasy, and the car is nice. No cam phasor sounds, but pparently it had a reprogram for them under warranty? Was this an initial bandaid or something?

Pretty sweet ride overall. The dealer put new brand new "fortune" tires on it, pretty sure those are the biggest let down of it all.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
The re-flash is a band-aid fix it does help. Some have no other issues. It has helped my '17 Raptor

bubbasuwannee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I've had a 15' F-150, 17' F-150, 19' Raptor and now a 21' Raptor. The only one I ever had any issues with was our 19' Raptor had the cam phaser issue around 43k miles. I traded it for our 21' Raptor while it was in for replacement. IMG_0861.jpg

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ah, so it's a problem that can develop over time too. Good to know

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
2013 3.5L F-150, 2016 2.7L F-150, 2019 2.7L F-150, 2019 Fusion 1.5L Eco no issues...good luck!

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have the shakes on my 2019 expedition. Haven't had it fixed yet but it's free on a recall. Otherwise love this machine. Our lease is up soon and we are debating just buying it over getting another one

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the shakes on my 2019 expedition. Haven't had it fixed yet but it's free on a recall. Otherwise love this machine. Our lease is up soon and we are debating just buying it over getting another one
They are nice. I would like a new one, but there is a lead time of several months around here. Plus the lease payment is up there compared to the loan payments I am making now. Hoping the market will cool and I would get something newer like a 2019 or 2020 next year.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The shakes? What do you mean by that?

We are on day 2 now, really liking it. Not used to all the space yet, the wife lost her wallet because it was in the second glove box she forgot existed, lol. I might have put it there also.

Little man seems much happier with his roof ac vent too.

At this point, unless you get a killer lease deal I don't think you can go wrong buying the lease out with the price of used cars. Even if you bought it and then turned around and traded it for a new lease you'd come out ahead I suspect.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They are nice. I would like a new one, but there is a lead time of several months around here. Plus the lease payment is up there compared to the loan payments I am making now. Hoping the market will cool and I would get something newer like a 2019 or 2020 next year.
I hate the new interior on the 22s. The big screen looks derpy to me, looks like it's asking for a child to destroy it at great expense, and we prefer a physical button to touch screens. Honestly, that was one of the biggest driving forces that made me lean towards used.