• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Electrical problems

Jeremy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Exciter
Boat Length
Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice. I have a 98 Yamaha exciter 270hp twin. I am getting plenty of spark out of the left engine and it cranks up no problem. The right engine loses spark right after I turn the key. It continues to crank but will not fire up. Sometimes I turn the key and it won't even make a sound at all. I took it to two different shops and neither one knew what the problem is. Sometimes if I run the left motor for a few mins on the water then the right motor will start up. Occasionally the right motor will die on me when I'm just cruising. Any advice would be great.

first thing that I think of is the rear hatch switches, next thing that comes to mind is the battery ground wires could be corroded, next is the dead man switches up front

You can test if it is the lanyard switch (deadman switch) by electrically disconnecting it and then try to run the engine. The lanyard switch has two sets of contacts, one for each engine. When I bought my boat it was doing exactly what yours is and my problem was the lanyard switch. I left mine electrically disconnected for a couple of months before I replaced the switch.

I will check the back hatch switches and the battery ground when I get home tonight. If the engine has lower compression could this be two different problems? One the engine not starting from low compression and two an electrical issue?

Last edited:
What is the boat worth if everything else on the boat is in great shape? I just had the seats redone last season. Gel coat is great. Literally everything is in great shape other then that right motor? Ball park number running and another number in the shape its in.

No it only has one battery.

Is it a bad ignition switch?

Back