• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Emergencies, Private Property, Docks and Rights

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In regard to what to do, from Boater Safety Course:
Severe Weather: Go to Shore or Ride It Out?
If you are caught in severe weather, decide whether to go to shore or ride out the storm.
  • If possible, head for the nearest shore or harbour that is safe to approach. If already caught in a storm, it may be best to ride it out in open water rather than try to approach a shore or harbour in heavy wind and high waves.
  • Head the bow into the waves at a 45-degree angle. PWCs should head directly into the waves.
  • Keep a sharp lookout for other boats, debris, shoals, or stumps. Take action as necessary to avoid a risk of collision.
  • If the engine stops, drop a "sea anchor" on a line off the bow to keep the bow headed into the wind and reduce drifting while you ride out the storm. In an emergency, a bucket will work as a sea anchor. Without power, a powerboat usually will turn its stern to the waves and could be swamped more easily.
  • If the sea anchor is not sufficient, anchor using your conventional anchor to avoid drifting into dangerous areas.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In regard to what to do, from Boater Safety Course:
Severe Weather: Go to Shore or Ride It Out?
If you are caught in severe weather, decide whether to go to shore or ride out the storm.
  • If possible, head for the nearest shore or harbour that is safe to approach. If already caught in a storm, it may be best to ride it out in open water rather than try to approach a shore or harbour in heavy wind and high waves.
  • Head the bow into the waves at a 45-degree angle. PWCs should head directly into the waves.
  • Keep a sharp lookout for other boats, debris, shoals, or stumps. Take action as necessary to avoid a risk of collision.
  • If the engine stops, drop a "sea anchor" on a line off the bow to keep the bow headed into the wind and reduce drifting while you ride out the storm. In an emergency, a bucket will work as a sea anchor. Without power, a powerboat usually will turn its stern to the waves and could be swamped more easily.
  • If the sea anchor is not sufficient, anchor using your conventional anchor to avoid drifting into dangerous areas.
I think this is EXACTLY the same as the tips I read in my online boater safety course back in 2009.

AncientCanoe

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Southernerd But that is not the only point. If I have to emergency dock/beach and I am within my legal rights to do so and and an irate owner comes and out causes an altercation that goes past just verbal what is the situation. Where does the law stand. There are some people who don't have empathy and are just plain out there. I asked the original question as to explore what others have encountered as well as input on the topic.

I agree with you, but there are people who are off their rocker and things could go down a wrong path very quickly.

Also understanding what is acceptable or allowed or legal could also minimize having civil action and/or criminal action brought up, which costs time, energy and attorney's fees possibly.
That owner is going to be irate regardless of whose side the law is on.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That owner is going to be irate regardless of whose side the law is on.
Maybe but a good conversation with some good info and points may diffuse it.

bigsapper

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is a sea anchor the same as a drift anchor?

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is a sea anchor the same as a drift anchor?
While it is not always a great reference source, I will trust Wikipedia on this one. Confirms what I thought. In answer to your question: yes, they are the same (many different styles and sub-types depending on manufacturer, boat size, etc)

C27F98A8-47DD-478D-9870-86EF5CE2245F.png

Otnelico

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I too am a new boat owner. My daughter, my dog and I got caught in an unexpected NASTY electrical storm this weekend. Lightning striking all around us. Thankfully We made it back to the lock in to our neighborhood but so did 5 other boats so there was a 30 minute wait. No spots on the dock and very high winds. For our safety I made the decision to tie up to a private dock with no boat at a house right next door to the harbor house. Because of the lightning I took us ashore and we cut across the very corner of their yard to get to safety. Absolutely no damage was done. We waited out the storm about half an hour. As soon as the rain stopped, the owners of the house stomped up demanding to know if we were the party “involved in the incident” (the incident of walking across their yard) they chided and scolded us for 20 minutes about trespassing on their property and how we should have just takenthe consequences for our actions (not watching the weather closely enough). I was shocked and dismayed at the lack of empathy. I have researched this all week and I am now convinced that we had the right of private necessity to not only cross their yard, but to remain on their property until the danger had passed.
Based on your description, they sound like a real pair of winners… or is that whiners? Smh