• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Engine alarm reset

spankybeanz

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
My boat had a engine alarm for the starboard motor, and it only had 6 hrs on the motors. (2021 212s) It wasn’t overheating and was running fine with the alarm. The batteries had 14.7 and I checked the clean out ports and couldn’t find anything. The alarm eventually went away and it ran fine. If the alarm clears does that mean there isn’t anything to worry about? Is there a way to see prior fault codes? I couldn’t find a screen that showed previous alarms. Just want to make sure I’m ok before I take it out again.

My boat had a engine alarm for the starboard motor, and it only had 6 hrs on the motors. (2021 212s) It wasn’t overheating and was running fine with the alarm. The batteries had 14.7 and I checked the clean out ports and couldn’t find anything. The alarm eventually went away and it ran fine. If the alarm clears does that mean there isn’t anything to worry about? Is there a way to see prior fault codes? I couldn’t find a screen that showed previous alarms. Just want to make sure I’m ok before I take it out again.
@spankybeanz .....if the alarm was an engine alarm (not from something else like the depth alarm) from overheating (for example) the code would be registered in the engine's management system. You can purchase a cable to connect or your dealer can connect a cable to the port on your management system and using Yamaha software remove it. :cool:

I agree with Cjb, if everything is running fine and no issues, I wouldn't be too concerned immediately. I would want to know what the error was though, so I'd take it to the dealer on a crappy day to see what it was and go from there. I've had the depth alarm go off when I know I'm in deep water (maybe air bubbles or something), and by the time I look over at the display to see what's making the alarm noise, the alarm text is gone. Same with weeds near the boat ramps, the water is 6-8ft but the weeds can trick the transducer.

I had an overhear alarm on my 242 this season as they ran it too long on the hose at the mussel inspection station. according to my local service advisor, if they run too long on the hose, they will throw a code as the driveshaft is cooled by the water around it and when out of the water, they will heat up.

She said as long as it's running fine you're OK...you'd know if something was wrong within a few minutes. Based on research here, it can take several Trips for the alarm to silence. Mine would go off every 5 minutes. In order to establish a new trip, I had to completely disconnect the batteries and let them sit for several days in between. After 4-5 unplugs, the reset alarm has been silent.

Your engines will still show a code until you actually reset them...this will take a YDS connector and a PC to do.

I had an overhear alarm on my 242 this season as they ran it too long on the hose at the mussel inspection station. according to my local service advisor, if they run too long on the hose, they will throw a code as the driveshaft is cooled by the water around it and when out of the water, they will heat up.

I share this with the learning and curiosity spirit that pushes to me to learn and better inform myself...

This is very interesting. I heard this with my SeaDoo which had a carbon ring seal, but I had never heard that of our Yamaha boats, as those have bearings in the drive line. I have installed temp probes on the engine water and oil filter, and running on the hose with high pressure at idle keeps the exiting water below 130F and oil pretty cool for as long as I've run it on the hose. (but I have tow/rinse valves that I use whenever I'm on the hose) and I'm not familiar with any other temperature sensors that would measure the temperature of the driveline.

In less words, I'm skeptical of what the service advisor said about driveline temp, but I would not mind at all learning more about it if it's true. Anyone ever heard of this message "driveline gets hot when running on the hose?"

Thanks!

I share this with the learning and curiosity spirit that pushes to me to learn and better inform myself...

This is very interesting. I heard this with my SeaDoo which had a carbon ring seal, but I had never heard that of our Yamaha boats, as those have bearings in the drive line. I have installed temp probes on the engine water and oil filter, and running on the hose with high pressure at idle keeps the exiting water below 130F and oil pretty cool for as long as I've run it on the hose. (but I have tow/rinse valves that I use whenever I'm on the hose) and I'm not familiar with any other temperature sensors that would measure the temperature of the driveline.

In less words, I'm skeptical of what the service advisor said about driveline temp, but I would not mind at all learning more about it if it's true. Anyone ever heard of this message "driveline gets hot when running on the hose?"

Thanks!
@Beachbummer .....no I haven't that either - but - I did have a former tech (good guy too) at my dealership put too little water pressure into the shop's water hose when heating the engine prior to an oil change and the engine heat alarm went off. We had to use the shop's computer to delete the code as it required Yamaha shop software. :cool:

Yeah...I'd never heard about a sensor on the driveline either.

Back