• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine Bay Wet Foam

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I’ve got extra time on my hands for the first time....ever. Great time to tackle some of the little details that Scarab missed. Love the boat, and I don’t know that I’d trade it for anything else; but there are things that could have been done better. Every time that it rains, covered or not, there is water accumulation in the foam above the engine bay, on the bottom side of the hatch. I’m guessing there is no sealant in the holes where the seats are bolted on.
Anyone experiencing the same thing and have a fix?
Also, water accumulates in the channel that surrounds the engine hatch, and eventually overflows onto the battery and other electrical things. The fix for this is drilling a hole and installing a drain and tube to the bilge. Anyone tackle that?
Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Scarab 215

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I’ve got extra time on my hands for the first time....ever. Great time to tackle some of the little details that Scarab missed. Love the boat, and I don’t know that I’d trade it for anything else; but there are things that could have been done better. Every time that it rains, covered or not, there is water accumulation in the foam above the engine bay, on the bottom side of the hatch. I’m guessing there is no sealant in the holes where the seats are bolted on.
Anyone experiencing the same thing and have a fix?
Also, water accumulates in the channel that surrounds the engine hatch, and eventually overflows onto the battery and other electrical things. The fix for this is drilling a hole and installing a drain and tube to the bilge. Anyone tackle that?
Thanks in advance for your wisdom.
Same annoyances here, have not tackled either one of those as of yet. Looking for ideas.

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Well, I tackled the wet foam issue, which I believe is a result of the water pooling in the channels around the engine cover.
You can see that the foam overlaps and hangs in the water channel. Water runs to this area from the side bench seats as well as the rear seats. The foam sucks up the water.
I made a couple of stainless drains to deliver all this water to the bilge. The drains are made out of some 304 stainless bits I had kicking around, press-fit then spot welded with my TIG welder. The water channel is curved, so I had to go with pretty small drains. The stainless tube is 3/8 ID. I drilled the holes and attached the drains with 5200 (black was all I had). Tygon tubes will go on after the adhesive has cured. I’ll follow and let you guys know if it keeps things dry.
581F6BF0-C275-4CBA-98AB-13BCC1D893EC.jpeg022F1560-034F-4515-A44E-82F536D577F6.jpeg5F554D4D-D8F2-4292-AA0C-E0A1A368DF3E.jpegF3F4ED16-810A-4BFA-956E-8AF9D3E50230.jpeg75B1671B-A961-477F-8DA9-19D8AF5EFA00.jpeg924182F8-2897-4A71-8060-61BAB1921219.jpeg

Scarab 215

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Well, I tackled the wet foam issue, which I believe is a result of the water pooling in the channels around the engine cover.
You can see that the foam overlaps and hangs in the water channel. Water runs to this area from the side bench seats as well as the rear seats. The foam sucks up the water.
I made a couple of stainless drains to deliver all this water to the bilge. The drains are made out of some 304 stainless bits I had kicking around, press-fit then spot welded with my TIG welder. The water channel is curved, so I had to go with pretty small drains. The stainless tube is 3/8 ID. I drilled the holes and attached the drains with 5200 (black was all I had). Tygon tubes will go on after the adhesive has cured. I’ll follow and let you guys know if it keeps things dry.
View attachment 117724View attachment 117725View attachment 117727View attachment 117726View attachment 117728View attachment 117729
Nice Job! Thanks for Sharing!

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
We’ve had some heavy rains, and my little drains are working as planned. The engine-bay foam is almost completely dry now. The drains would have been more effective if the were flush (I knew this would be the case), but what was a channel full of water is now a few drops.
One less annoyance!C54A6004-EE9C-4DC2-BE46-D9059BC42323.jpegC54A6004-EE9C-4DC2-BE46-D9059BC42323.jpeg

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Scarab 215

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
We’ve had some heavy rains, and my little drains are working as planned. The engine-bay foam is almost completely dry now. The drains would have been more effective if the were flush (I knew this would be the case), but what was a channel full of water is now a few drops.
One less annoyance!View attachment 118730View attachment 118730
Thank you for the update!!

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Same annoyance on my Yamaha so I did something similar, but I found some plastic drains online (lots of searching to find the right size!). They have worked great draining all those little gutters around the boat.

Here's my post on it for reference: https://jetboaters.net/threads/the-official-what-did-you-do-to-your-jet-boat-today-thread.2661/post-404686
Ha! Thanks for the link. I knew there had to be something out there. I searched all over google, and couldn’t find anything. They’re cheap too.