• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine Cooling Question

SoxFan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Have had my 212SS for 3 seasons and love the easy winterization compared with my previous boats with stern drives.
Could be a dumb question, but with my 1.8 engines also being “fresh water cooled”, why does the jet engine not have drain plugs to release any trapped water?
Part of the old routine was to open the 4 drain plugs to release any water still in the engine to prevent freezing and possibly cracking the engine block.

I do rev each engine briefly on the trailer to get out what I can, then run it with marine antifreeze- just to be safe.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have had my 212SS for 3 seasons and love the easy winterization compared with my previous boats with stern drives.
Could be a dumb question, but with my 1.8 engines also being “fresh water cooled”, why does the jet engine not have drain plugs to release any trapped water?
Part of the old routine was to open the 4 drain plugs to release any water still in the engine to prevent freezing and possibly cracking the engine block.

I do rev each engine briefly on the trailer to get out what I can, then run it with marine antifreeze- just to be safe.
I wouldn't get too crazy revving them up out of water, just a gentle blip.
The key is to raise the bow to let the water drain down into the pumps.

--

Last edited:

bumpy

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I used to have the same concern; I don't use anti freeze at all on the boat (used to in the fresh water shower tank, now I just drain) and haven't had any issues in 5 winters. The engines are supposed to be self draining, and I think they really are!

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What is not self draining are the water boxes. They retain a certain amount of water.