• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine cuts off when hitting big wave

tim2808

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone ever had an issue with the engine cutting off after hitting the water after big waves? My 2013 AR192 has started cutting off everytime the boat splashes back down after hitting a decent size wave. The dash board stuff all stays on. If I put it back in neutral I can start it back up and take off. Sometime before the boat even comes to a stop.

The radio is on another battery and never cuts off either. Both battery’s are grounded together.

It’s almost like the lanyard emergency cut off is pulled but it’s still in place and looks fine. And works. But I haven’t replaced it.

Anyone have other ideas? Or hopefully a common problem that I can investigate?

It's your rear cleanout hatch safety switch. It likely needs adjusting or replace. Also check to make sure your cleanout hatch latches aren't broken (common issue) which would also allow your hatch to flop open and closed on big waves. The safety switch shuts off the engine if you open the hatch (so that nobody looses a hand reaching down there to cleanout debris).

That’s ABSOLUTELY it. Thank you! I just noticed when washing it after that the 2nd latch had broken. Other one broke earlier this year. Thanks again!

Glad you figured it out. These guys are good ;) it’s always nice to find out that it’s a simple fix to what seems like a terrible issue.

Back