• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine flush/Carbon Seal Issues

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
... Water cooling for the carbon ring? at WOT doing 50+ MPH I doubt there is any water in the hull cavity where the seal is (any thoughts on this?). ..
This is an excellent point that I had not considered. I owned a boat with this system for a long time, and a poor seal at the carbon ring would also introduce air and cause cavitation, so there may be some interesting water dynamics going on in a WOT run, but I still think there is water everywhere there, the alternative being that air is entering the system, and that shows up as cavitation.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Here is a picture of a misaligned engine/pump.

Apologies as I know this is an older thread, but the photos above are just crazy.

I am thinking about possibly purchasing a used Scarab 195 or 215 and am trying to learn all I can about the good AND the bad.

Was the carbon seal alignment issue limited to certain models and model years for Scarab? Did they eventually get it resolved with newer models?

On older boats, can the alignment be remediated? If so, how is it done?

Thanks,

Jim