• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine hatch foam coming undone!

Kennc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2015 AR240. The foam on the engine hatch will not stick. I am guessing some sort of adhesive was used, but at least in my case not well.

Anyone else have this issue?

Anyone have any ideas for a solution?

There appears to be 3 layers of foam. The first layer of foam is separating from the hatch, and the other layers are separating from each other.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Same boat. Same problem. I will tell dealer to fix it tomorrow.

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pictures would help, however I would think taking it to the dealer and having it repaired under warranty, especially if the foam layers are seperating is a good option.

Kennc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@subysti my dealer is almost 3 hours away. Can you let me know what yours says bout the issue and ultimately what the fix is.

Thanks

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine's loose also. I'll probably tack it back together with some industrial hot glue.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Glassman's suggested solution not only WORKS, is totally functional, but also saves a ton of time & expense in taking the boat back into the dealer.
And is most likely what the dealer is going to use anyways.
My only caveat ? READ the instructions and follow closely. 3M spends a ton of time & money explaining to the consumer WHAT TO DO & HOW TO DO IT in order to receive maximum results.
This 3M stuff WORKS ! Nice post, @Glassman.
Mikey Lulejian - Lake Mille Lacs, MN

PolarXJ

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Same thing on mine. I will probably eventually pull it off anyway and put on some different sound reducing material. I don't like how it looks in there with all those layers of poorly installed foam.

jwells

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
2015 AR240. The foam on the engine hatch will not stick. I am guessing some sort of adhesive was used, but at least in my case not well.

Anyone else have this issue?

Anyone have any ideas for a solution?

There appears to be 3 layers of foam. The first layer of foam is separating from the hatch, and the other layers are separating from each other.
Mine fell completely off also I gotta find some adhesive to put it back

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Mine fell completely off also I gotta find some adhesive to put it back
From @Glassman ............ and I attest to its effectiveness also as I wrote above .......
"
Try using 3M Hi-Strength 90 Spray Adhesive. That's what I used when I installed my heavy marine engine compartment insulation years ago and that stuff is stuck like stink on ..."

ChrisP

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The hot glue will melt the foam. Try using 3M Hi-Strength 90 Spray Adhesive. That's what I used when I installed my heavy marine engine compartment insulation years ago and that stuff is stuck like stink on....well, you get the idea.

View attachment 23560

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-17-6-oz-High-Strength-90-Spray-Adhesive-90-24/100151277
The 3M spray adhesive is what I used to fix mine. I applied 2 good coats on both sides, allowing to tack between coats. After the second coat tacked I held together for about 2 minutes. Has been holding together great.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Somebody needs to post a pic of this poorly installed insulation. I thought they had this figured out after all these years.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Murf'n'surf ......... It "varies." It appears that various people do it ("apply") and subsequently the adhesion can and does have problems.
From my personal observations, they could have used more adhesive.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hope that you get it fixed without too much trouble.

I am going to follow this thread in case I need to do this too.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The "fix" for this is VERY easy. The 3M can of spray adhesive ("3M Hi-Strength 90 Spray Adhesive) costs $13 at Home Depot and the like, and the "fix" only takes a few minutes.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-17-6-oz-High-Strength-90-Spray-Adhesive-90-24/100151277?keyword=3M+Hi-Strength+90+Spray+Adhesive.
This really is not any big deal at all, in my humble opinion.
Purchasing your own can of adhesive is faster and easier than taking your boat to a dealer and leaving it and returning another day to get it. Plus the cost of gas, the value of YOUR time, and etc, etc, etc.
And you'll have a can to use again, on other projects. It last for years, if stored properly.
Hoping this puts many at ease on this.
Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This is odd. Mine has too much adhesive and the foam has not budged. I guess I will be grateful for this anomaly.

john94si

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
YES.. our 15 242 is also coming off in layers. Open the hatch and be greeted by foam hanging down. This si blocking the fire extinguisher ports.. so it is a major safety hazard and yamaha could be in bog trouble if their is a fire and it is blocking the suppression port.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
YES.. our 15 242 is also coming off in layers. Open the hatch and be greeted by foam hanging down. This si blocking the fire extinguisher ports.. so it is a major safety hazard and yamaha could be in bog trouble if their is a fire and it is blocking the suppression port.
@john94si - There is a recall on the blocking of the fire extinguisher port. I received notice to bring it in for a 1/2 hour repair. However, I am choosing to take 1 minute and cut the opening myself.

john94si

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yea the dealer is a hassle.. About 50% of my screws holding on the flip up cusions have all fallen out also. This boat isnt the quality i was reading about IMO.