• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine hour discrepancy?

Daron

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So I just spent the whole weekend out on Lake Martin and noticed something odd when I got home yesterday and was flushing the engines and cleaning the boat. When we started out on Friday both engines were dead on 12 hours. I used both engines all weekend, lol, together, at the same time. I always start them and then sync them with the Connext Screen and verify they are matched. Well when I was flushing them yesterday I checked and the Starboard is at 18hrs and the Port is at 15hrs.🤔 Any idea what’s going on here?

rrmidden

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have slight discrepancy of .3 or .4 hours over the course of 80+ hours. But a 50% discrepancy in 6 hours of usage seems very odd!

Daron

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah I know it seems odd. And, if by some reason the engine wasn't running the cooling water line would have flooded it, right? But, it runs fine.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The big discrepancy is odd. A little is probably normal because you usually start the port engine first so it runs a tad sooner all the time.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
About the same number of hours on mine and I noticed also a 4 hour difference. I don't remember if it was here or in Facebook somebody said it is a software bug and a dealer can fix it. I haven't looked into it

Daron

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
About the same number of hours on mine and I noticed also a 4 hour difference. I don't remember if it was here or in Facebook somebody said it is a software bug and a dealer can fix it. I haven't looked into it
That’s an interesting thought. I did actually call two separate dealer service departments and they both agree it’s strange and have no idea what it is or have heard of the issue before, but also agree it couldn’t be that I ran it with one engine dead or else it would have flooded and not started AND also they say it would have never got on plane on one engine.🤔 They said in the end if it’s not causing me any issues than I don’t need to worry. Maybe I need to call Yamaha directly. Anyone got the number?

Jghale

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Has anyone figured out this issue yet?

Summers420us

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I also have this issue with my 2018 242 LSE.

Is there really a software fix? Dealer is trying to tell me it only counts on one side when throttles are linked. I try to test that theory and I am not sure I agree.

Is there an official Yamaha word on this?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is typical of a time warp. Obviously while boating half your boat tore through the time/space continuum. I just don't know how you got it up to 88 mph.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I wonder if this is a "sync throttles issue?" I never use the sync feature and mine are always within a few 10ths of an hour of each other.

Jghale

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I’m leaning toward this being a throttle sync issue. I bought this bought boat slightly used off of a guy who told me he used throttle sync A LOT. I’ve put about 4 hours on the boat so far and there is exactly a 5.9 hour discrepancy. Next time I go out, I’ll throttle sync it to see if that gap grows.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would think these meters are electrically operated or possibly electrical over hydraulic where they need the ignition key on plus oil pressure before they start counting. Generally hour meters are used for maintenance intervals. I'm not aware these intervals are shorter if RPMs are higher. I'll stay tuned for more information from the collective.

Summers420us

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Was this ever solved? The discrepency in my engine hours continues to grow every time out.

Also... is there a way to set the engine hours on the Connext? Maybe I can manually sync the hours. Also, my connext was replaced, so the engine hours displayed does not match actual engine hours when read by the shop.

\\\Wolverine///

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Was this ever solved? The discrepency in my engine hours continues to grow every time out.

Also... is there a way to set the engine hours on the Connext? Maybe I can manually sync the hours. Also, my connext was replaced, so the engine hours displayed does not match actual engine hours when read by the shop.
I have the same problem. My boat had the Connext replaced before I brought it home and the tachs reset to zero but the boat had a little over a hundred hours on it. Would love it too show what it is supposed to. Also makes you wonder how many boats are out there with hours way less than reality due to the screen replacement

Scoop

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I have also experienced this issue and posted in a separate thread. It showed up as early as the 10 hr service. At first it was a about 1 hour off but with about 80 hours it went to about 4 hours difference. Eventually I also noticed some other "anomolies" with my CONNEXT screen and wanted to address this while still under warranty.

My boat is in the shop getting serviced and I asked them to look at the CONNEXT screen also. The shop said my CONNEXT would not accept the latest update and they suspect that it is faulty. They ordered a new screen which hopefully will solve this issue. I don't know if this is what is causing your discreancy but I would definitely investigate your CONNEXt screen.

Scoop

Scoop

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I have also experienced this issue and posted in a separate thread. It showed up as early as the 10 hr service. At first it was a about 1 hour off but with about 80 hours it went to about 4 hours difference. Eventually I also noticed some other "anomolies" with my CONNEXT screen and wanted to address this while still under warranty.

My boat is in the shop getting serviced and I asked them to look at the CONNEXT screen also. The shop said my CONNEXT would not accept the latest update and they suspect that it is faulty. They ordered a new screen which hopefully will solve this issue. I don't know if this is what is causing your discreancy but I would definitely investigate your CONNEXt screen.

Scoop
Just a follow up to the above Post. The new CONNEXT is installed and I have had it out about 3 times for 11 hours and it is working perfectly. My total hours did get reset to zero but when it goes in for maintenance they can pull the actual hours, which for my boat is about 88 hours more than displayed. If anyone is having hour discrepancies get it checked out while it is still under warranty if you can.

Scoop

Last edited:

Jghale

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Just a follow up to the above Post. The new CONNEXT is installed and I have had it out aobut 3 times for 11 hours and it is working perfectly. My total hours did get reset to zero but when it goes in for maintenance they can pull the actual hours which for my boat is about 88 hours more than displayed. IF anyone is having hour discrpeanies get it checked out while it is still under warranty if you can.

Scoop
Thank you Scoop. I guys I need to drop off my Boat at the dealer.

Summers420us

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just a follow up to the above Post. The new CONNEXT is installed and I have had it out about 3 times for 11 hours and it is working perfectly. My total hours did get reset to zero but when it goes in for maintenance they can pull the actual hours, which for my boat is about 88 hours more than displayed. If anyone is having hour discrepancies get it checked out while it is still under warranty if you can.

Scoop
Is it still working correctly?

Scoop

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Yes - I had the CONNEXT replaced under warranty and now with over 60 more hours the engines have always been within .1 hour of each other.