• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine Locked Up / Corroded Impeller Housing

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A few weeks ago I had the boat launched and when we arrived at the marina, the dock hands told me they could not get the starboard engine to crank. Port started fine for me, but when I tried the starboard... nothing.

When I engaged the starter it did not turn over. I could hear the starter try to turn and the entire engine torqued counter clockwise until I released the switch and it returned back to normal... I double checked the clean out area and there were no obstructions that I could see or feel as far as I could reach. I did not stick around for them to pull the boat to check for debris in the impeller/pump housing.

As posted in another thread... our last trip on the water, when I started the starboard engine, I heard the "box of rocks" sound, but it was cyclic... about once every second or so. When I throttled up in no wake mode it stopped.

Initial thoughts were locked up intermediate or cone bearings, debris in the impeller, or worst case water in the cylinders from an improper flush job.

Got the boat put on a work rack today... pulled all the plugs, engaged the starter, and it turned over about 3 or 4 revolutions and locked up again.

Next step was to pull the pump housing (surprised how easy it came off after five good blows with a rubber mallet) and it was immediately evident what was locked up... the impeller housing sleeve had corrosion behind it and it swelled up binding the impeller. The area of the corrosion is directly adjacent to the cooling water port. I am sure that the port side is on the verge of going as well so I will definitely repair both sides.

On the boat, peering through the hole for the shaft I can barely see the intermediate bearing... I can't make out any corrosion or rust stains, looks shiny and I can see part of the blue seal. I'm going to go with the belief that they are okay. I am hoping the sound I have been hearing was he impeller rubbing on the housing.

There are two areas of the impeller shaft that have some minor scoring... not sure if it is enough to warrant replacement though.

So, my questions are:

Best place to buy replacement aftermarket impeller housings with the replaceable plastic sleeve?

Best replacement impellers and where to buy? (they are a little nicked up, might as well huh?)

Replace the shaft?

Thanks in advance guys...

Ed

20140816_111526.jpg 20140816_111536.jpg 20140816_112249.jpg 20140816_121752.jpg 20140816_121800.jpg 20140816_121920.jpg 20140816_104730.jpg

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm pretty sure that Island Racing has wear wings that have inserts (I'm going by memory, so I could be wrong)

SBT has an impeller repair/replacement program that other guys have used and is pretty cheap. They might have wear rings with inserts too. Not sure about that though.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@cwoav8r. If you do go with new impellers you may still want to get your old ones dressed up to be used as spares. It's cheep money and will get you back on the water quick if you have a problem.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Don't forget Impros.com out of Colton CA for impellers, tools and advice.

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like I am going to have to pull the pumps twice. SBT has the housings, but they do not have impellers in stock... they are the closest to me and shipping is free. I'll put the new housing on and make do for now so I don't loose any water time, then send out the impellers later when I know I will not need the boat for a few weeks.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am looking forward to hear how you like the SBT housing. I am thinking about replacing mine this winter.