• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine noise

Greg larose

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
how are the engine noise levels on the 2015 sx 210

Greg larose

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can anyone give feedback on engine noise level at crushing speed ? Can you have a conversation ?

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't have a 2015, but not much has changed since 2013 either in the way of the 210 series. You can hold a conversation at speed, but at a louder level than just normal talking. I don't think the sound level is any different than most 19-21' boats, it's a higher pitch noise than say a v6 or v8 IO/Stern drive boat, but it's close decimal level-wise.

All that being said there are a number of things you can do to cut down on engine noise if you are willing to do the work. Sound deadening material, additional seals around the various compartments, etc. are all options and can easily be done.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
IMO, it's pretty loud and not conducive to holding conversations. Our 210 is waaaaaaayyy louder than any of our friends I/Os and still quite a bit louder than another friend's v-drive. Thisis one of the few things I don't really care for about our boat. Installing a louder stereo system helps take attention off the engine noise and makes for a more pleasant ride across the lake, but does nothing for fostering conversation. Our next boat will be quieter - that's an absolute requirement from the wife!

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have been doing some research searching parts and interchange between the 2015 212 vs 2014 and 2013 as well as the 2015 240 series. One thing that I was guessing and Yamaha did was they are now using the exact same power plant packages for the 1.8 NA engines between the 2 lines. They did change the motor mounts and engine to pump coupler damper from 2014 to 2015 and they are the same in the 2015 240 series and 212 series so there is most certainly some noise reduction that has occurred. Now the only other difference between the 212 series and the 240 series is the engine hatch insulation from a parts standpoint. I looked at the 2015 240 series and they appear to have the standard insulation we are all familiar with and a second layer on top of a more egg crate type of insulation. I am going to order some marine egg crate style self adhesive insulation and add it to mine to see if I can reduce the noise further this winter. But I think to answer the pending question, did Yamaha do something to reduce noise in the 2015 212 series I would say yes. It may not be enough to market from but just maybe it might be enough with a little insulation added to it to closely replicate... I am also certain some key sound enhancements are done in the new 240 series hull and fully expect that whatever the new upcoming 212 series to be or its replacement will have the same features integrated as well.

Chris Oneslager

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I know this is dated a bit, but wonder if there are any updates? With the 17 models so close and the improvements made on the 242, are those coming to the 212X? Should I wait to buy?

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I would wait...supposedly new improved 21 ft line this August. I'm sure they will introduce the sound dampening from the 24 ft line or similar. @Chris Oneslager