• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine not pushing

zibius

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
My vortex 203 has a problem that I could describe as no push. No error code, temp is ok, oil is ok. But even at low RPM its not going as fast as before. When I bring it to 6000 rpm, it barely goes 15 mph

Last edited:
I think you're missing part of your sentence here. But as you are describing things, it sounds like cavitation. You should start by getting the boat on a trailer if it isn't already and then inspect the pump through the intake grate carefully using a flashlight. You're looking for the impeller edges and the gap between the impeller and the wear ring. Tolerances here are very tight... so it doesn't take much. What you need to confirm is if there's any damage to the impeller (like dents along the leading edge), the wear ring (grooves or major scratches) or commonly a piece of debris like a tiny stick or pebble. Also, make sure you're intake grate is clear of any weeds and there's no damage to it.

I think you're missing part of your sentence here. But as you are describing things, it sounds like cavitation. You should start by getting the boat on a trailer if it isn't already and then inspect the pump through the intake grate carefully using a flashlight. You're looking for the impeller edges and the gap between the impeller and the wear ring. Tolerances here are very tight... so it doesn't take much. What you need to confirm is if there's any damage to the impeller (like dents along the leading edge), the wear ring (grooves or major scratches) or commonly a piece of debris like a tiny stick or pebble. Also, make sure you're intake grate is clear of any weeds and there's no damage to it.
Thanks for the info. Would you go for plastic or steal wear ring?

I like to stick with standard OEM. But maybe I'd be of a different opinion if I sucked up a lot of stuff. I'm at 275h, still original wear ring. So yeah.... lol

Managed to take apart the pump, would that kind of wear be enough to cause a lost of thrust.

Attachments

• 20240712_170611.jpg
    20240712_170611.jpg
    551 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240712_170644.jpg
    20240712_170644.jpg
    407.1 KB · Views: 10
No. I mean I can't see the whole thing, but assuming it's like this all around, it certainly should hit more than 15 mph.

Drive shaft splines and impeller are good?

Intake grate is good? No damage there? And you didn't find anything like a stick in there?

Otherwise, continue troubleshooting with the engine. Usually it would report codes, but I'd start with fresh spark plugs. Very inexpensive.

Back