• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine oil question on used boat purchase

DaytonFlyer1068

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
Hello. I've been reading on this forum for quite awhile but this is my first post. I sold my 2018 SX190 over the summer and I'm in the process of purchasing a 2019 212S from a private seller out of state. The boat was purchased in June of 2019 and has 10 hours. The current owner has not done a 10 hour service on the boat, so no oil change. Should I be concerned about the fact that it's had the same oil for almost a year and a half? I've read some of the posts on here about metal pieces in the oil during the first change so I'm wondering if that's something that could potentially damage the engine if not changed in the first 12 months. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Fellow Flyer here!

I wouldn’t worry about it one bit. Just change it when you get the boat.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome.
I would not be overly concerned wit the oil not being changed, 10hrs is 10hrs but I would do a service on it as soon as it was purchased just to make sure there was no condensation in the oil.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Hello. I've been reading on this forum for quite awhile but this is my first post. I sold my 2018 SX190 over the summer and I'm in the process of purchasing a 2019 212S from a private seller out of state. The boat was purchased in June of 2019 and has 10 hours. The current owner has not done a 10 hour service on the boat, so no oil change. Should I be concerned about the fact that it's had the same oil for almost a year and a half? I've read some of the posts on here about metal pieces in the oil during the first change so I'm wondering if that's something that could potentially damage the engine if not changed in the first 12 months. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
@DaytonFlyer1068 .....I WOULD be concerned that the10 hour oil change had not been done. That oil change is deliberately scheduled to remove any manufacturing related debris from the engine, hence many owners finding minute metal particulate in their first oil change and that is what they can actually see. If the oil was sent for analysis most oil - prior to the first oil change - would show metal particulates, sometimes heavy concentrations. So, what to do in your situation? I'd tell the owner to change the oil while you were there and put some in a clear jar to see if there was anything resembling metal particulates (members have posted pictures/video on this forum ). If there was I'd walk away. I just don't get the logic of some owners who have a $100K machine and don't read their manual and follow it.! :cool: P.S. when we built several marine racing engines we would run fresh oil from a large reserve through two "ganged" oil filters during the break in on the bench. Once installed in the boats we would change the oil after the first hour then at the 10 hour mark.. Oil and oil filter changing is the one biggest thing an owner can do to protect their engine. Anyone who doesn't do so raises red flags for me, particularly when specified by the manufacturer.

Last edited:

DaytonFlyer1068

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
@Canuckjetboater Thanks for the advice. After reading on this topic I think you bring up some good points. I'm certainly concerned about this and I think you're right about changing the oil while I'm there. Thanks for the help!

@mark_m Go Flyers!

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
How can someone buy a boat in June 2019 and only put 10hrs on it. Buy it then never use it, weird.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Canuckjetboater, I get what your saying but if there are only 10hrs on it then I don't really see any difference then having 5hrs on it. If there were 50-100hrs and no oil change then I would be more concerned but sitting won't make those metal pieces if any get where their not supposed to. I would warm up the engine good and then change the oil and not look back.

I found 07-09 boats with 70-80hrs on them last year when looking around. Kinda makes me wonder why even have a boat?

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
In addition to the oil, I would be concerned about the boat just sitting. How old is the gas, was it stabilized, when did it run last and for how long?

If it were me, I would want the boat scheduled for an oil change and general diagnostics at a mutually agreed upon shop. If all is well, then it is time for the water trial and purchase.

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I'd be more worried about the gas than the oil to be honest. Gas goes bad pretty quickly and if it has been sitting with less than a full tank in Ohio and with the season changes it could have condensation in the gas. These engines are very tight, so I wouldn't worry too much about condensation in the oil. It takes a very long time for internals to rust if they are coated in oil. I've pulled cars out of a field that have been sitting for 10 years and change the oil and fired them up and they were crappier made engines!

I would siphon the gas out if it hasn't been treated with Sta-Bil, fill it up with new gas, warm it up and just change the oil and filter. Should be good to go!

ScottS

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I bought a 2017 AR195 with 5.8 hours on it this year in April. It had basically sat for 2.5 years, the owner used it once I think. We bought it and I did the 10-hour service myself - I left the oil in my pump for a while to see if anything settled and I didn't notice anything of concern. We are around 90 hours now with no issues. If you are getting a good deal on the boat, I think you will be fine. Yamaha makes a damn fine engine and I am confident the engineers take into account that not every boat will be serviced at exact intervals and that many boats are only used a handful of times per year. If you are happy with the price, I would buy the boat, baseline service it and be diligent moving forward. I would be more concerned with the condition of the electrical and such from being left without being used more than anything - i.e. critters, bugs, and dry rot. Either way, for my two cents I think you're going to be fine.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
@Canuckjetboater, I get what your saying but if there are only 10hrs on it then I don't really see any difference then having 5hrs on it. If there were 50-100hrs and no oil change then I would be more concerned but sitting won't make those metal pieces if any get where their not supposed to. I would warm up the engine good and then change the oil and not look back.

I found 07-09 boats with 70-80hrs on them last year when looking around. Kinda makes me wonder why even have a boat?
@Babin Farms ....good points! My concern is that the owner ran it, didn't change the oil and then let it sit for so long. Agree, that no significant harm may have been done - but - it does concern me that a basic maintenance was not done (as specified in manual) and the oil was left to sit in the engine. Before I considered buying it I would definitely download the engine data to see if the guy even followed break-in instructions - or did he abuse, it as in - did he either lug it or blast off the dock and wind it up to wot? If the guy didn't follow basic oil changing "common knowledge" what else was he ignorant of?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
He only ran it 10 hours. He could not have messed anything in the engine or maintenance up that much running it for 10 hours. Yes, it may not have been appropriately broken in, but you will never know if any used boat was appropriately broken in. So the real solution there is never buy a used boat--and that is just not practical.

I would not worry about the oil. Even if it is chalk full of shavings, those shavings have not been circulating in the oil for 50 hours or anything. Change it when you get it. Then change it per the maintenance schedule as you own it, at least annually. And do what they all said above on the gas. I make Stabil 360 a regular thing at fillups, just to avoid issues.

Welcome to the board, @DaytonFlyer1068 !

DaytonFlyer1068

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
Thanks for all the advice! I will keep you all posted on what happens this week.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We will need pics... :)

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Was the engine fogged? Stuck rings is a possibility.... old fuel can cause a lot of expensive damage with an efi engine. I'd make an offer subject to mechanical inspection by a yamaha dealer.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You guys are talking about a 2019 and 10 hours. Worry about something else and pocket the depreciation dough.