• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine Oil Rotax 4-tec 250 hp

DJP1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
What brand and type to use?

Faith Johnson

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
T4 oil. 1 gallon of XPS synthetic blend oil or equivalent. Rotella T6 5W40 (blue Bottle) is excellent and it's the only one I use. $22 at Walmart

Attachments

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Amazon has a maintenance kit with oil, filter and plugs. For supercharger and non superchargers
oil change kit # 295501075

Speed_Freak_039A

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Use Rotella T6, and get the updated oil filter I have posted. You will be good to go.

Tommy Lee

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Use Rotella T6, and get the updated oil filter I have posted. You will be good to go.
Where did you post the updated oil filter? I can't find it. Also someone said it doesn't come with the o rings. Is that true? What spark plugs do I buy?

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Tommy Lee

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks Mike. Hey do you know what the procedure is before I change the oil and while the engine has the anti freeze in it from winterization? What I mean is... I need to heat up the oil before the oil change right? How long can I leave the engine running when starting up the boat out of water? What about the anti freeze? I'm guessing I need to put a large discharge receptacle under the back of the boat to catch discharged anti freeze? Thanks for your help. This is my first time doing this.

Tommy Lee

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

ALAN MANN SR.

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
NO longer than 2 minute on a water hose. And for the antifreeze I would catch it and dispose of properly. Make sure the oil is up to spec and then what you take out, put back in.

Tommy Lee

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NO longer than 2 minute on a water hose. And for the antifreeze I would catch it and dispose of properly. Make sure the oil is up to spec and then what you take out, put back in.
Thanks Alan. What about drown mode? What I'm hearing is you do this like 4-5 times... pull out your suction hose from the dipstick tube, put throttle to full position, crack engine for like 10 seconds (don't start), suck out more oil. I'm hearing that doing this puts more oil in the pan and allows more to be sucked out. True?

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
The antifreeze that is used to winterize is not your normal coolant antifreeze. It is called RV/Marine antifreeze. This RV antifreeze is supposed to be environmentally friendly. Is it really? Don’t know. Hope so because mine gets released into water. But my procedure for a spring oil change is to launch boat. Drive a little to warm up engines. Dock. Let engines sit a few minutes. Then remove filters. Then begin sucking oil out. I don’t do the turn engines over without starting a few times to get more oil out. Never saw how to do this othe than pulling spark plugs. Guess I could do that, since I change plugs in spring too. But I usually get 3+ quarts out each engine and feel that is good.

ALAN MANN SR.

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I don't turn the engine over, and I get 3 quarts out and then put 3 back in. I don't think that is needed..

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don’t do the turn engines over without starting a few times to get more oil out. Never saw how to do this othe than pulling spark plugs.
Might work if you pull the lanyard, it usually just grounds the plugs but you can still turn the engines.

--

ALAN MANN SR.

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
NO, with the lanyard removed the engine will not turn over. Will not turn over with the throttle not in idle position. The engine only holds 3.2 QT. with filter change by owners manual, so there is no need to turn it over to get more oil out.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
NO, with the lanyard removed the engine will not turn over.
Are you sure abut that?

Every one of the boats I have been in will crank, spin, turn - but not start - with lanyard safety removed.

--

ALAN MANN SR.

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Well it looks like you have a Yamaha and not a scarab, My Scarab 165 will not turn over or crank with the lanyard removed. Will not crank if throttle is not at idle. Will not crank if in gear. Yes I am sure. At least my boat, and I am sure that it is a safety feature on a SCARAB.

Kyle Mekulik

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Thanks Alan. What about drown mode? What I'm hearing is you do this like 4-5 times... pull out your suction hose from the dipstick tube, put throttle to full position, crack engine for like 10 seconds (don't start), suck out more oil. I'm hearing that doing this puts more oil in the pan and allows more to be sucked out. True?
I contacted BRP and they stated the only way to get all the oil out of our boats is to pull the coil pack plugs off and unplug the fuel pump plug then turn over the engine. I have done this now for 3 seasons and I do get every last drop of old oil out. JUST BE AWARE THAT IF WILL CAUSE FAULT CODES AND YOU WILL NEED CANDOO PRO TO ERASE SAID CODES...

ALAN MANN SR.

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
To much trouble for 2 tens of a quart of oil, and truly not necessary. And I am not sure about engine damage that it may cause running it dry.