• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine Performance

Shelby Lowery

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Hello all, first post about my new 190 FSH Deluxe and have a few questions.

1. I have around 8hrs on the boat and so far my top speed has only reached 40mph once. That's with only me in it with less than half a tank. What can I do to improve on this?

2. What is a ribbon delete and what can you expect to gain from it?

3. I've added a cobra jet steering system and I do like the product but now my top speed is right at 36-37. Add a passenger and fishing equipment and we are down to 34-35. Has anyone else experienced this?

4. What's the best mod to gain some much needed power? Just a slight turn drops the speed by 5-7mph.

Danielmailin

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
That is basically your average top speed on these boats.
I normally see 34-36 since TV steering system, before was 38-40 and top speed 44 with 1/3 of a tank 2 passengers no gear on a complete flat day.

Earfixr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You can experiment with shifting some of your weight front vs back to see if that improves your top speed. Other than that, welcome to your new FSH. The ribbon delete would not be worth voiding the warranty on your new engine.

Shelby Lowery

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Normally not that concerned with top end and just want it to have the power to push it but when I fish at Grand Isle I'm usually covering several miles of water between fishing points and ready to roll.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure what to expect on top end performance. When we purchased it two weeks ago at New Orleans Powersports the man who came out for the demo said the unit was in "safe mode" for break in and it runs 48mph after we get a few hrs on it.

Thanks for the input. I guess for now I'll spend my time siliconing connections. My livewell leaks BAD. During first use after about 5 minutes I was wondering why it still hasn't filled and opened my engine bay to find it 1/4 full of water. Glad I cought it before I drove all the way to the rigs.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Shelby Lowery , glad to have you on board,
You've found out the probably the most important part of owning a Yamaha, unless your dealer is the exception, the rule is don't trust what anybody at the dealer says, they're probably just pushing you off or guessing,
Be sure to check out the posts about sealing up your FSH so it doesn't leak (as much),

Shelby Lowery

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
@Shelby Lowery , glad to have you on board,
You've found out the probably the most important part of owning a Yamaha, unless your dealer is the exception, the rule is don't trust what anybody at the dealer says, they're probably just pushing you off or guessing,
Be sure to check out the posts about sealing up your FSH so it doesn't leak (as much),
Is it normal to hear a rattle when at idle or +1 no wake mode? The noise goes away with more rpm.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
possibly, do you hear the same rattle when you run the engine out of the water?

Blindduck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I can't believe the dealer said 48...Got to be speedometer and not GPS....I must be one of the few lucky ones of the bunch with top speed...My average with 2 people is 40+ with full tank...Weight...Wind...And current do affect that speed greatly.

Attachments

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would look at the impeller and wear ring and see if there is any noticeable issues, if not I wouldn't worry about it,
for most of us running it out of the water sounds like gravel in a soda can,
I would think if it's just a short sound cycle while increasing rpm's it's just "normal",
maybe take a video so we can hear it,

Shelby Lowery

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I can't believe the dealer said 48...Got to be speedometer and not GPS....I must be one of the few lucky ones of the bunch with top speed...My average with 2 people is 40+ with full tank...Weight...Wind...And current do affect that speed greatly.
Did you do the ribbon delete?

Blindduck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Did you do the ribbon delete?
Yes...I did...Yamaha engines are bulletproof so was never worried with the warranty...Got more issues with water getting in boat ....You just can't slam the throttle because it will start cavatating and go no were..I have found that as I give throttle I can hear it load up and apply more as I take off...I plan on doing a lucky 13 cone soon maybe next month and a 2° wedge month after..To see if I can get more

Shelby Lowery

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Sorry for my ignorance, what is a "ribbon delete".
I had no idea either. Just search for it and there will be a bunch of threads with it. I think of it as a catalytic converter on the intake