• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

engine problem yamaha jet boat 2013 limited s

brian nguyen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have the yamaha jet boat 2013 limited s. When I load the boat into the water and I start the engine, they run very well. After I ride the boat for 3 or 4 hours and I turn off the engine a few minutes and I start it again they don't run. And I start it over and over 10 times then it runs. When I turn off the engine it is very hard to start again. Please help me if you know the problem.

I have the yamaha jet boat 2013 limited s. When I load the boat into the water and I start the engine, they run very well. After I ride the boat for 3 or 4 hours and I turn off the engine a few minutes and I start it again they don't run. And I start it over and over 10 times then it runs. When I turn off the engine it is very hard to start again. Please help me if you know the problem.
Pull a couple spark plugs when it does this and take a picture.
Also, Both engines or one?
Look for loose connections and/or battery corrosion.
Could just need spark plugs. Ever change them?
Could be lack of fuel or fuel injector stuck open.
The spark plug should indicate rich or lean once running.

I have bought a new spark plug from yamaha and and replaced the air filter and the fuel pump, but i still have the problem with one engine. Do you think the sensor is bad?

Try moving the throttle lever a bit, just slightly forward and backward sounds like the throttle positioning sensor is not set correctly.

If they both crank but don't start it could be the lanyard switch. Try holding the plunger up as high as possible when trying to start.

I can't say I know exactly why the following steps seem to work... but they do! (help with hard re-starts):
  1. idle/high idle for a few seconds to cool the engines before turning them off; check water temp coming out of the "pissers" - should be hot/warm but not scalding hot; if in doubt - idle a bit longer;
  2. position the throttle levers/binnacles exactly in "neutral" position before turning the engines off;
  3. turn the blower ON (this is the most important point) while sitting/taking a break w/engines OFF (if the engines are still hot);
  4. if that still does not work but you can get one engine to start - see the next point:
  5. shift as much weight as you can into the bow area (fore), start riding/getting up on plane using the one engine that works; while turning hard into that side start the second engine (this last maneuver seems to help ventilate the engine compartment while, at the same time, lifting the stern/swim deck out of the water may relieve any extra back pressure in the exhaust)
EDIT: re:5. the throttle lever for the second engine must be in neutral when restarting it on plane; keep in mind overdoing this maneuver may risk water ingress through the exhaust.
--

Back