• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine Problem

Tlaux

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Went to take off on the boat and could immediately tell something was not right with the engines. When I give it throttle the engines get really loud and the boat starts vibrating really bad. Boat won’t really go over idle speed. I know this isn’t the best description, but can anyone help. Thanks again.

ruztew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Cavitation, check pump for obstruction

Also check jet intake grate on bottom of boat, see if it's clogged up with grass or something

bumpy

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Both engines/pumps? Sounds a lot like stuff in the pump(s); have you looked in the clean out plug holes yet?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yup sounds like something is in your pump(s). All it takes is a plastic bottle cap or something very small to cause vibration and cavitation.

Tlaux

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You guys have done it again, put the boat on the lift and checked the jet intake grate on the bottom of the boat and sure enough something is lodged in there. Can’t really tell what it is, it’s a long hard like plastic piece. Kind of like the end of the screw driver almost, minus the metal. It’s lodged in there really good, no way I can get it out. Unfortunately with my mechanical skills looks like it’s going to the shop. Thanks for all the replies.

ruztew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Try to get it out with pliers through the clean out plug ?

Tlaux

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
EB754FE4-B3E1-4E72-9B93-8CF83B3AA061.jpeg I tried getting pliers on it, I can’t get it. I think it might be a chunk of wood from my picture. I can feel it through the cleanout ports and under the boat. I can’t get it to budge.

Tlaux

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
E9CA18CE-E4C9-48AD-A5F6-2BFA2F92E472.jpeg This forum has saved me a bunch of money this weekend. Was able to pry the stick out with a screwdriver. Boat seemed to run fine afterwards, hopefully everything is good. Thanks for all the help.

Evildwarf

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I carry a flat head screw driver and a short bladed (4") folding knife on a lanyard just for prying crap out of the impellers. The pumps ingest stuff frequently and on occasion a stick will get lodged and need to be pried out. Haven't had to pull a pump housing yet...
Welcome to jet boating!

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Glad it’s fixed and I agree this is an awesome community who always answers questions quickly and always willing to help!

Lpennington

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow, I need to put a couple tools in the boat should this ever occur. Also reminds me that I need to take a good look under the boat so I know the landscape should I ever need to check things out. I just know where the cleanout port is ...