• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine Rebuild Costs

Krabi Sunset

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If anyone has had their 242 engines rebuilt, could you please talk to me about what that cost?

Can you also comment, if you have the experience, as to how it compared with other non jet engine boats you may have had.

I am trying to work out what will last longer and cost less to fix, these boats or something with a Volva Penta 4.3

A friend of mine is trying to scare me and telling me things that so far I have figured out are at least 1/2 untrue... he was saying they are very expensive to rebuild and only last 50 hours, well the later is clearly a pile of steaming horse doodoo.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My 2008 has 200 repair free hours on it. It has the mr1 engines but the newer motors are just as reliable.

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
He was probably referring to old school 2-strokes. Even they last longer than 50 hours, but with constant plugs, carb rebuilds, fuel filters, etc, they can be a hassle. These newer 4-stroke engines should go 1500+ hours, with basic maintenance. I'm not sure of the cost of rebuilding them, because I haven't seen anyone actually do it. There is a company called SBT that sells rebuilt engines, but personally, I wouldn't go that route. Either buy a short block from Yamaha and have the head done locally, or source a low hours, used engine from a wrecked ski.

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I had a MR1 rebuild installed by my Yamaha dealer using an SBT rebuild of my motor (freak thrown rod according to Yamaha engineer). Total cost was under $5k. Knock on wood, the motor is still running like a champ after almost 200 hours now, including regular oil analysis. FWIW, the complaints I found on SBT seem to be isolated to an older LS 2000 (?) motor (which appear to fail no matter who builds them).

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would rough guess $3k to pay someone to rebuild your engine, it's a guess because in 10 years there's only been a handful of problems like that on the board, nobody within a year that I recall with a 1.8L

The good news is a PWC shop can work on the engines so you have more options than the dealer.

As I said in your other thread, the engines are in the PWC's and get worked much harder in that application and they are extremely reliable.