• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine RPM

Orlando

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When running my port engine on the hose my throttle resonser and RPM are fine, but under load I can't get over 6000 RPM. Any suggestions?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When running my port engine on the hose my throttle resonser and RPM are fine, but under load I can't get over 6000 RPM. Any suggestions?
I have the same year & model boat as you @Orlando. My first step would be to change the spark plugs. Also check the air filter for oil contamination. If no luck with those you may have a bad coil on one of your spark plugs.

Another, non motor, issue may be a swollen impeller liner. I had to replace mine as they were contacting the impeller. You can look closely at the liner to see if there are warn spots. You can also feel the impeller blades to see if the edges are rolled over due to contact with the liner.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Spark plug changes have been known to cure an impressive array of issues in MR-1s!

--

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yep...put a plug-change on your spring start-up list. Although you may/may not necessarily "have" to change them, its always better to do it when the boat is at the dock....not when you're out trying to enjoy it.

Orlando

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok. Thanks everyone for your help. I picked up a full set of plugs for both engines, I'll get them changed out and let you know. I guess I will clean the airfilair at the same time.

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok. Thanks everyone for your help. I picked up a full set of plugs for both engines, I'll get them changed out and let you know. I guess I will clean the airfilair at the same time.
The issue with MR-1s as dry-sump oil system engines is that even relatively modest overfill can saturate air filter with oil and cause an engine to under-perform.

--

Orlando

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So these came out of the starboard engine. I did change the port engine too, they didn't look bad, but better safe. It started easier, ran quieter, and ran very well. Thank you all for your help getting this old sailor familiar with his new craft. I'm loving the performance of this little AR230. Again thanks to you all.IMG_20181128_123355184_BURST001.jpg

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
with that zip code we better see some pictures uploaded of your outings,

Orlando

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Will do @Scottintexas. Where in Texas are you? We are moving to Comfort, or nearby in about a year.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm near DFW, Comfort is a nice area,