• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine stalling to start

rayg1022

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So my wife and I went to Big Bear Lake to try to get away from some heat. When we anchored and we were looking to move some where else I went to start the boat and it took like 2 tries to get it started it was like it was hesitant to start for some reason. It only happen once like that the rest of the time started in one turn over.. any ideas why it would act like that? New 2018 190SX had its first 10 hour tuneup.

Did you run the blower before starting? There is a long hard starting thread mainly around where running ballast but if it's real hot outside it can happen as well. Running the blower seems to help.

I ran the blower before launch, but not once in the water...

My SX240 does this as well, sometimes only one engine will fire up, when the second would take 2-3 attempts - boat has 16 hours. Someone told me to "cool" them down prior to shutting it off. I just had the 10 hour service completed this Friday and wasn't able to take it out this weekend.

Someone told me to "cool" them down prior to shutting it off.

I have an older boat but noticed a significant difference in restarting depending on how the engines were shut down. If I am running hard (tubing, etc) and do short off/on everything is fine, but this year I noticed if I run hard and shut it down then wait 5+ min to restart they do not restart 'smoothly'. If I let it idle for a couple minutes before shutting down the restarts have been flawless every time. It seems to be very consistent with the shut down / restart method with how it behaves. Short durations or long durations don't seem to matter, just the middle it seems, at least with mine.

As others have mentioned seems it may be related to heat. I know if I'm pulling surfers or tubers and I shut it down immediately after a hard pull *occasionally* one engine (seems to be the port side most often) will not start without a 2-3 times cranking (~5 sec crank time). I've come to just run the blowers full time while I'm pulling surfers or tubers. Also (if I remember) I let it idle for a bit before I shut it down, sometimes I hit the no-wake idle speed up one notch while in neutral for 15 sec or so to get more water circulating for a few seconds. These tactics (which have been suggested on this forum) seem to help.

Back