• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine tick at 2000 rpm

Anova1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hello. I have a 1979 cobra jet boat with a 403 Oldsmobile big block in it. Boat runs fine until it hits 2000 rpm then a ticking or knocking sound starts. New to boating and stumped on what it could be. I have a video but it won’t let me post it to this thread. Any ideas of what it could be would be much appreciated

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Hello. I have a 1979 cobra jet boat with a 403 Oldsmobile big block in it. Boat runs fine until it hits 2000 rpm then a ticking or knocking sound starts. New to boating and stumped on what it could be. I have a video but it won’t let me post it to this thread. Any ideas of what it could be would be much appreciated
@Anova1 ..... failing hydraulic lifter? valve stem seals leaking down?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When it starts the knocking, does it get faster/louder as you get beyond 2k rpm or does it settle down and go away?

If you put it on a hose, does it still do it? Or does it only do it under load?

Anova1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
When it starts the knocking, does it get faster/louder as you get beyond 2k rpm or does it settle down and go away?

If you put it on a hose, does it still do it? Or does it only do it under load?
It gets louder and faster. Not too much faster though. Will let you know if it makes noise attached to a hose.

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I would get a mechanic's stethoscope and put it all over until you find where the noise is coming from. Could be many things, an accessory driven by the belt, water pump, bad lifter, loose rocker, bent push rod. If it is a knock and not a tick, start with new plugs and checking the ignition system for loose items, plug wires, cap and rotor.

Dwrat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Could be loose exhaust bolts????