• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine turnover issue on 2016 242 LSE

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Anyone having intermittent issues with the engine hesitating to start intermittently? I have a 2016 242 LSE with 33 hours on it and in two separate occasions I have had one engine hesitate to start after anchoring. It first happened on the port engine after running them for about an hour at low speed and then anchoring. The is happened on the starboard engine yesterday after an hour of cruise and slow speed driving after sitting at anchor for an hour. The engines turn over but continue to do so and don't seem to catch and then just stop. On both occasions, if I wait a minute and try again they fire right up but I don't want this to be an indicator of a bigger issue, any thoughts?

I don't think it would be bad gas since I have gone through at least 1-1/2 tanks of fuel since it happened the first time.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anyone having intermittent issues with the engine hesitating to start intermittently? I have a 2016 242 LSE with 33 hours on it and in two separate occasions I have had one engine hesitate to start after anchoring. It first happened on the port engine after running them for about an hour at low speed and then anchoring. The is happened on the starboard engine yesterday after an hour of cruise and slow speed driving after sitting at anchor for an hour. The engines turn over but continue to do so and don't seem to catch and then just stop. On both occasions, if I wait a minute and try again they fire right up but I don't want this to be an indicator of a bigger issue, any thoughts?

I don't think it would be bad gas since I have gone through at least 1-1/2 tanks of fuel since it happened the first time.
Sounds like a fuel pump issue or something like that

Don R

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I've had it happen 2 times on my starboard side. Did you have your blower on before starting?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

When you say the engines turn over then just stop do you mean it stops cranking while the key is still engaged? If that's the case it sounds like a contact on the hatch switch. Next time that happens tape a nickel over the switch or have someone hold the hatch switch all the way down to see if that corrects the issue. If it's just an ignition issue it could be the lanyard switch in which case you could hold the switch all the way in the up position while crankin the motor.

CAM212SS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
this happens to me periodically i do not worry about it as it has never failed to start

Hana

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Are you letting the blowers run for a couple of minutes before starting? I get the same hesitation if I don't allow the blowers to run. I have made it a habit and it hasn't happened at all this season.

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Are you letting the blowers run for a couple of minutes before starting? I get the same hesitation if I don't allow the blowers to run. I have made it a habit and it hasn't happened at all this season.
My blower goes on automatically with the key turn and runs for 3 mins. I almost always let it run for at least 2 mins before I start them up and I did on Sunday as well.

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
When you say the engines turn over then just stop do you mean it stops cranking while the key is still engaged? If that's the case it sounds like a contact on the hatch switch. Next time that happens tape a nickel over the switch or have someone hold the hatch switch all the way down to see if that corrects the issue. If it's just an ignition issue it could be the lanyard switch in which case you could hold the switch all the way in the up position while crankin the motor.
I have push button starters on my boat, and you do one engine at a time. Both times it has happened, the first engine fires right up and then the send cranks, the guages flash and then it just stops. If I try it again immediately, it has done the same thing. If I wait one minute and try again, it fires right up.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't have the same engines, but over 10 seasons I just have to bump the key to start the engines. This would be annoying on a new boat.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have push button starters on my boat, and you do one engine at a time. Both times it has happened, the first engine fires right up and then the send cranks, the guages flash and then it just stops. If I try it again immediately, it has done the same thing. If I wait one minute and try again, it fires right up.
I'm sure you must have thought of it already but could it be a battery issue? Would emergency parallel (temporarily) cure intermittent starts? (I kind of doubt it but who knows, may be worth trying)

---

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm sure you must have thought of it already but could it be a battery issue? Would emergency parallel (temporarily) cure intermittent starts? (I kind of doubt it but who knows, may be worth trying)

---
This is possible if the batteries are marginal they may not have recovered enough after the first engine start to start the second engine. The minute or so you have to wait may be just enough time to recover the battery for a second start. Worth looking into connections and have batteries tested.

hobineros

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I crank both my motors nearly immediately one after the other - never had an issue. Even with a low battery a few times, talking like 11.8 volts on the Connext - they both will fire up one after the other. I think as long as one motor is running the system is creating enough cranking amps for the second motor to start.

Sounds like a wiring issue or something else. Doubt its fuel related because you would have consistent issues with a bad pump or water in gas. A lose wire could just be jiggling around and coming undone and then reconnecting / corrosion might be building up on something.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I crank both my motors nearly immediately one after the other - never had an issue. Even with a low battery a few times, talking like 11.8 volts on the Connext - they both will fire up one after the other. I think as long as one motor is running the system is creating enough cranking amps for the second motor to start.

Sounds like a wiring issue or something else. Doubt its fuel related because you would have consistent issues with a bad pump or water in gas. A lose wire could just be jiggling around and coming undone and then reconnecting / corrosion might be building up on something.
Don't discount fuel issues as each engine has its own fuel delivery system from the fuel pumps to the injectors but from what you're telling us, that it starts after about a 1 minute recovery, I still believe it's electrical.

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Don't discount fuel issues as each engine has its own fuel delivery system from the fuel pumps to the injectors but from what you're telling us, that it starts after about a 1 minute recovery, I still believe it's electrical.
I thought it might be fuel but I have gone through at least 1 1/2 tanks if not more since the issue first cropped up. I guess there could be crap sitting on the bottom of the tank that might be causing it.

hobineros

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My baby going in tomorrow morn, for her 50 hr maintenance. I'll ask my service tech guy if he has any idear's.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This sounds similar to the heat soak issue or exhaust backpressure that guys are having after wakeboarding. I'm not sure if they figured it out, but I think running he blowers helped if it was a heat soak issue. Do you run a lot of ballast? I think they were under the impression that the extra weight on the ballast side caused an exhaust backpressure issue. Not sure that either one is your issue though.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Happens to us all the time when we leave the key on and push the buttons to stop the engines. Very inconsistent and can happen to either engine. But if we turn the key off wile floating around 'almost' never happens. I've gotten pretty used to it as they eventually always do start. Lots of times it cranks starts momentarily then dies 4 or 5 times before a good start. Once in a while cranks the full 10 seconds then times out without firing. Dealer has never heard of such a thing and can't duplicate. We have about 145 hours on engines...