• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine turns over, but will not fire

Jimmer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I have a 2016 AR192, we went to put in yesterday evening and the engine would not start. It turned over, as long as I turn the key, but it just wouldn't fire. The check engine alarm and display came on. It did start one time, but I shut it down, because the check engine warning came on and stayed. I didn't want to chance anything more happening. Batteries are fine. I haven't had the chance to get out there to look other than what we could at the ramp. When I was cranking it, behind the boat, but in the engine compartment, you could smell gas. The motor doesn't seem to shake anymore than normal when trying to start. It ran fine two weekends ago. We had the annual maintenance down in March. The engine compartment did fill with water, maybe a 1/4 way up the engine, about month or so ago. Anyone have any ideas?

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Without knowing what type of troubleshooting you have done, check your kill switch under the rear deck, check/reset you kill switch lanyard up at the throttle, check/retighten all battery connections. The check engine light, did you attempt to see what type of error code it shows in your LCD menu under the Eng Diag (#9)? I would do a thorough inspection in the engine compartment for corrosion (especially if you are in salt water), due to the water in the engine bay. Water that high up can be a problem. Good luck.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Flip the tether/lanyard kill switch key over & reinsert. I've seen where this has worked on a similar issue before.

Jimmer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Have not seen what error code it shows in the LCD menu, actually wasn't aware that it showed that info. I will go out and check. I did check the kill switches, did the flip of the kill switch key and even pulled the spark plugs. they are good, but the plugs are not sparking when I turn the key, I checked that when I had them out. I am out of ideas.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Check the rear hatch to make sure it’s shut and or the kill switches under the hatch are being pushed down fully, per @FLBulldogger

Jimmer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
All, just wanted to give you an update on my engine problem with my AR192. It was the Stator Crankshaft sensor. They had to pull the engine out to get at it. Yamaha, a couple of years ago moved it from the front of the engine to the aft end of the engine, there was no easy way to get at it without pulling the engine. It is an unusual failure, the mechanic had only seen it once before on an older jet ski.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
All, just wanted to give you an update on my engine problem with my AR192. It was the Stator Crankshaft sensor. They had to pull the engine out to get at it. Yamaha, a couple of years ago moved it from the front of the engine to the aft end of the engine, there was no easy way to get at it without pulling the engine. It is an unusual failure, the mechanic had only seen it once before on an older jet ski.
Gross - what's the ETA on fixing it?

Jimmer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I just got it back today. It only took two days once they were able to get to it. It was out of commission for two weeks.