• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engineering a tower lift assist system - been done?

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So after adding accessories to the tower the taking down putting up of the tower has become more difficult with weight. Wondering if anyone has ever done a mod to add a spring to the stop cable or an easy lift type shock add?

The spring approach would mean adding a spring below the hull opening to help counter the lowering weight and assist in the lifting. The spring would theoretically sit with the support cable running up the middle of it with a washer on top and below.

Shock approach would involve something like this:

Looking for thoughts, ideas, or previous attempts successful or not.

Thanks community!

Attachments

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Bump - any engineers takers on this one?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bump - any engineers takers on this one?
I have about 15 ideas on how to do this. While mine is somewhat easy to lift/drop with just the soundbar up there, the idea of an assist shock, or even a full electromechanical system sounds great.

Just never taken the time to make it happen.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have about 15 ideas on how to do this. While mine is somewhat easy to lift/drop with just the soundbar up there, the idea of an assist shock, or even a full electromechanical system sounds great.

Just never taken the time to make it happen.
Yea i like auto! a winch system ! Are there any small that could hold the weight?

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The tower on the '18 242x had the gas struts to help with the load.
Good to know - I may have to see if the dealer has one on the lot I can look at for guidance. They have been buying up tons of used boats getting ready for season

Last edited:

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Any other thoughts on this? Bump

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You could use linear actuators if you want it to be powered.

Gas struts will be faster to use.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You could use linear actuators if you want it to be powered.

Gas struts will be faster to use.
Linear actuator attached to a custom bracket within the gunwale. Actuator pulls on the existing cable.

Wouldn't be absurdly difficult. Some packaging and loading to work out, but really nothing absurd.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I’m thinking gas struts may be easier to install. But I do like the idea of actuated.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m thinking gas struts may be easier to install. But I do like the idea of actuated.
They would be....sort of..... mounting will pose the same packaging issues. Where to the fit, how do they move, what do they attach to, etc.

The benefit to a strut (or any other purely mechanical system) system would be general simplicity and ease of control. If you actuated the whole setup you would need some feedback and load balancing to keep things in sync and happy. Would require wiring, sensors, and other such mess.