• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Excessive tread wear

Joshua Miller

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
What causes this, other than over-inflation ( I check my psi regularly) and not rotating (every other oil change)? Never saw this on my truck until I started towing. 2014 Ford Expedition w/ 35k miles.IMG_0176.JPG

djsquid

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If both the inside and outside edge of the tire are worn like that it is an indication of underinflation. If just the outside edge is warn it indicates a toe-in alignment issue.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Overinflation wears the middle of tread, is it just that side of vehicle? Tie rod end? Probably too early for ball joints at 35k miles. How many miles on tires?

Joshua Miller

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
It's the original tires, and it's only on the outside edges. I've heard the newer Expeditions have issues with alignment, but I haven't noticed a significant pull in the steering since I've owned it, but I'm not too smart on suspension.

Crlos16

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Had same issue with my Yukon I used to own, samething no alignment issues no pulling left or right, after couple months figured out the issue was due to towing with improper trailer height, make sure your trailer is level when hooked to your hitch, and look at the rear of your truck if it sags down to much you might need to install some air bags on the rear to help level your truck. To much weight on the rear of your truck will tend to raise the front end up and start wearing down your tires mainly on the outside edge.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Time for an alignment! And a new tire or 2.

Pot holes and hitting curbs can knock your alignment out.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I agree with all comments above, new tires to start and an alignment. The tongue weight of a 21 foot boat on trailer should not change the suspension geometry on that size vehicle, enough to wear the tires like that unless you tow a lot. Definitely tow with trailer parallel to ground. I have never gotten 35k miles from a set of tires, but then I run snow tires year round on my truck.

Firehouse100

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I also agree with the above but also consider that the truck needs to ride level as well as the trailer or you can get wear on the trailer tires depending if your tongue heavy or rear heavy. I would recommend some air bags to lift the rear of the truck with a drop hitch if needed to level the trailer that way you can adjust for the weight that you are carrying on that trip.