• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Excessive Water in Bilge?

Nick212

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
We have a new 2018 212 Limited and have had it out 3 times. All trips out were just cruising around, no watersports (no wet people climbing in and out)

When I pull the drain plug, we get at least 1/2 gallon come out. I have owned I/O boats in the past and don't usually get more than a few tablespoons of water.

Boat is kept in the garage so it can't be rain.
Is this normal?

Last edited:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's not alarming, it's not that much water, but it's not normal. It's leaking somewhere.

There are several threads on potential points of entry. Drain plug and fittings come to mind.

Someone with more experience on your model can probably give you more specifics.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yamaha had a real problem with the anchor locker drains being hatchet-ed in and leaking bad. Check the drain by opening the hatch. See if the bow carpeting under the seats is wet.

Nick212

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Yamaha had a real problem with the anchor locker drains being hatchet-ed in and leaking bad. Check the drain by opening the hatch. See if the bow carpeting under the seats is wet.

I checked the anchor locker and the rope is soaked. I have not put the rope in water yet, so I'm guessing that's where it's coming from. Under seat carpet is dry. I only have the rope in case of an emergency need to anchor the boat other than that I would never be setting an anchor. I think I'll plug the drain hole completely to prevent the leak.

Thanks for the info.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It is not unusual or even wrong for water to come up through the drain when you come off plane. The problem has been that the manufacturing process to install the drain was primitive at best and led to bad things. Take a picture of your drain as seen from the inside and post it for us.

Nick212

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
It is not unusual or even wrong for water to come up through the drain when you come off plane. The problem has been that the manufacturing process to install the drain was primitive at best and led to bad things. Take a picture of your drain as seen from the inside and post it for us.
Rope Drain.JPG

Nick212

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Thank you for the link.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Someone made that hole, and put that drain in there....I couldn't sleep at night after doing that.

Nick212

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Crazy how unfinished the boat is. I have a list of things for the dealer to address at the first service.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Crazy how unfinished the boat is. I have a list of things for the dealer to address at the first service.
Yep. But the fix for that anchor locker drain is pretty strait forward.

--

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Someone made that hole, and put that drain in there....I couldn't sleep at night after doing that.
Yep - its 2018 - I can't believe they still haven't remedy this well known issue. Just sad. I love my Yamaha but the quality control on these boats is bad and doesn't seem to be improving. I don't know how many loose and missing hose clamps I tighten and added. :confused:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thankfully so far they are mostly bulletproof otherwise in the mechanical area. Small hump to get over.

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yep - its 2018 - I can't believe they still haven't remedy this well known issue. Just sad. I love my Yamaha but the quality control on these boats is bad and doesn't seem to be improving. I don't know how many loose and missing hose clamps I tighten and added. :confused:
I have a 2016 AR240 and the anchor locker drain was cut cleanly and sealed properly. I must have gotten the right crew.

Bdray86

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I noticed this on our brand new 2019 AR240 the other day. Thought it looks like complete crap. Just haven’t had a chance to clean it up as boat is already at dealer getting ski locked shock reattached.