• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Exhaust/ Water leak

heloskick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Hello,

I have an lx2000 and I am under suspicion that it has an exhaust leak/ water leak of some sort. I am planning on opening up the clean out tray area and looking at all the hoses, clamps, and lines. Does anyone have any experience or have had this issue? The boat seems to smoke a lot out the back. I know its a 2 stroke but its smoking. I have had a mysterious water leak in the boat for a while now. The bilge will kick on randomly emptying out quite a bit of water. Its not filling up the engine compartment or anything like that but it is a lot of water. I am thinking that a line is loose somewhere allowing both water and exhaust to escape into the boat.

Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on what lines, hoses, or clamps that have had issues or I should take a look at? I wanted to know if anyone had an idea on a targeted area to start with.

Thanks for any info/tips/help. I will share what I find if I figure something out for the next person.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think you have to remove the tray out of the compartment and look for water leaks with engine off and engine off. You will probably see water leaking from the bearing assembly. You will need to replace the bearings and/or entire assembly. Report back after you pull the tray and observe

heloskick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Yes will do. I have looked at the bearing assembly from the engine compartment when both engines are on and off and it seems to be bone dry. Unless you are talking about something else.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Check ALL of your clamps under the tray. I have found several under there that were either broken, rotted or ready to break. I replaced all of the under tray clamps with stainless steel T clamps as they have a solid band and are not prone to breaking and rotting.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes will do. I have looked at the bearing assembly from the engine compartment when both engines are on and off and it seems to be bone dry. Unless you are talking about something else.
Very good that the bearing assemblies are not leaking. Next will be to observe where the water is leaking from to rule out the engine/hose area.

If that still isn't leaking, you can pull the rear cleanout tray, fill the bilge with water while the boat is out of the water and on trailer, and check for where you see water leaking

heloskick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Check ALL of your clamps under the tray. I have found several under there that were either broken, rotted or ready to break. I replaced all of the under tray clamps with stainless steel T clamps as they have a solid band and are not prone to breaking and rotting.
Thanks for the info and reply. Are there any clamps that you can’t see tucked underneath the fiber glass or are the all pretty much visible?

heloskick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Very good that the bearing assemblies are not leaking. Next will be to observe where the water is leaking from to rule out the engine/hose area.

If that still isn't leaking, you can pull the rear cleanout tray, fill the bilge with water while the boat is out of the water and on trailer, and check for where you see water leaking
I have checked for leaks in the back of the boat. Brought it to the lake with the tray out and let it sit and nothing was leaking. I have a feeling the water is getting pumped into the boat when the engines are running and it’s under way.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you have the original plastic scupper? That could be cracked and you should put in stainless anyway. While your doing the replacement check those hoses in the bilge. If the problem happens while under way you could check that while on the water with the compartment open.

heloskick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Yeah I replaced the scupper as soon as I got it 2 years ago. The old one pretty much cracked in my hand. I am going to over every single hose connection and fitting I can find and see if I can find a loose one. Tomorrow I am going to change out the steering cables so it will be a perfect time to check the hoses.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Perfect time of your doing the cables. You might want to add a 2nd bilge with an automatic float switch directly connected to the battery. $39

heloskick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Perfect time of your doing the cables. You might want to add a 2nd bilge with an automatic float switch directly connected to the battery. $39
There is an idea. I just realized I might have screwed up. Is there a difference in length between the port and starboard side steering cables? It looks like I have 2 starboard side cables in the box... but the part number on the Yamaha part diagram is the same...

Part number F0R-U1470-00-00

Last edited:

heloskick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Ok I found the leak! One of engines headgasket cover is shooting water out under pressure like a squirt gun. I purchased a new gasket and will be putting it in tomorrow. Has anyone else had this issue? Any advice on opening it up?

Gasket, Head Cover 1
63M-11193-00-00 63M-11193-01-00